creep feeding

Help Support CattleToday:

limi chick fitter

Reaction score
im fairly new to this since we havent done it in the past. but, when do you start creep feeding? does it make a difference in their weaning weight? is it a good thing to do or no? i'm thinking of creep feeding some calves we have.. one of them, when i wean her, will be a show heifer and right after i wean her i plan on showing her for a while.

also, can you worm cows that have calves on them?

when do you start creep feeding?

You can start as early as a couple weeks old or wait and
just get them started eating a few weeks before weaning

does it make a difference in their weaning weight?

Yes.

is it a good thing to do or no?

Depends who you ask. I like to creep through the winter
and in dry weather. I like for my calves to get used to
eating and let their rumen adjust before I wean. If you
are going to show the creep will give you a head start on
getting your calf in show condition.

also, can you worm cows that have calves on them?

Yes. I know that ivomec is safe. I don't know if all
dewormers are. Better check the label.

I creep feed all my calves. When the grass is green and lush in April, May, and June, I usually let the feeders go empty. The rest of the time they are full for free choice. As long as the cattle price is high and the grain price is low, it will pay to creep feed.
I have never had a problem worming with pour-on generic ivomec at any time or stage the cow is in

We have a creep feeder available for our calves all the time. Generally the older calves will find it at 4 - 6 weeks. Once they figure it out, all the young ones will follow suit.

If you're planning on showing your calves, definately consider using a creep feeder! It will make it much easier to wean your calves and get them on full show feed when you're ready, and your calves will grow faster.

Latest posts