creep feeding????

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve":3qw7lqhd said:
I understand that whole oats works OK with calves since they "chew it better." Any experience with whole oats for yearlings?
I can't say that I've ever fed whole oats to yearlings. If your feeding yearlings the goal would likely be to put on pounds. You would be much better off with grain that has more energy like barley or, since your in Minnesota, corn should be quite available.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am trying accuration this year and it has been a learning experience. I did some inital cost of gain calculations based on 1% of body weight consumption of 20/80 blend but some things have changed along the way...

I got dry lot calves started with twice a day bucket feeding of a sweetened grain mix and then switched to a 20/80 accuration/corn self feeder blend. They gobbled up 1.4% of body weight the first week. I went to a 30/70 blend and they still consumed almost as much. I spoke with my feed guy - - he said cattle will consume less self feed supplement on pasture compared to the dry lot - - and then can eat 1+% of body weight on pasture without any negative starch effect because they will snack 8 or 9 times per day. He also pointed out (as I knew) that the accuration is expensive so moving the feeders may be more economical than increasing the accuration in the mix. I went on pasture and moved the feeders a ways - - now the herd comes over twice a day in the AM and in the PM. So no 8 or 9 snacks per day for them!

What kind of consumption and conversion should I expect on pasture for a given accuration %? Is there any optimium mix and consumption in your experience?

Latest posts