creep feeding????

Help Support CattleToday:

dun,

that makes sense that folks would be concerned with the related costs. Not sure how to evaluate those. I guess I like to try to calculate the scenario to see if it looks favorable or not. May not always be exactly right, but I've known alot of people who are very good at "runnning the numbers".....they're right more often than not. I've been fortunate to learn from these guys to at least try to evaluate roi in determining where to spend time, money. There is obviously a wealth of knowledge on these boards and it's helpful to try and understand the reasoning behind the opinions.

Creep feeding has a chance to pay when the ratio of the price of feed to the sale price of calves is favorable. This ratio is different for different operations. For me, a creep feeder costs 399 dollars and will last 15 years. I have a creep feeder in every pasture. If I have 25 calves in a pasture, that is about 15 dollars per calf for 1 year, but if the feeder lasts 15 years, it is a dollar per year per calf. I go to town often, and I pick up grain while I am there, it is 7 miles to the feed store. I put feed in the creep feeder while I am checking the cattle and putting out salt and minerals. I dont feel I am spending extra time and money to creep feed, other than the cost of the feed and a slight cost for the feeder. The creep feed is medicated, so I have less sick calves. That saves alot of money on medicine and vet bills and losing calves. The calves are much easier to work and far easier to wean, although I quit weaning and sell right off the cow, because the calves weigh what alot of other peoples weaned calves weigh. This saves a huge weaning expense and headache. For these, and other reasons, I feel creep feeding pays for me with current feed and calf prices.

Anyone here mixing their own Creep?? I'm looking for ration suggestions. Thanks!!

ronr,
I am. You know about the abundant supply of cheap corn here in Iowa. I'll get you the # and name of my feed guy if you want it. This is our 2nd year on the ration and I don't plan on ever switching. It is cheap and conversion is great.

I think it depends upon your forage base. In this area, 1 acre per cow is adequate. My cows have 3 acres each (except in the winter and grass isn't growing anyway) so I don't supplement the calves. I wean them at 7 months and they weigh between 6-700 lbs. The cows are staying fat, bcs of 7 or 8 (right after they have a calf they drop to a 6, but bounce right back).

If a person can rotate their pasture (I dont have that option) or when I get to the point they have only 1 acre each then I may have to supplement.

MoGal, no to be argumentative, but you say that 1 acre/cow is adequate in your area, then go on to say that you give your cows 3 times that amount and that if you ever have to give your cows 1 acre each (the adequate amount) that you would supplement them.

IMO you are already supplementing them heavily by giving them 2 extra acres apiece. Why not give them the adequate amount and cull heavily based on performance?

Like I said, not trying to be difficult. Just wondering if I missed something.

Ladaking, I understand and I agree that I may/will cull when the time comes. I rent my pasture and this particular field is about 15 acres. They've been there for the past year. Hopefully I'll be able to get about 5 more cows in the next few months to add to them.

You're right instead of supplementing the calf, it would be better to sell the cow as I do want cows that can raise that calf on milk and grass and for me I have to. I'm not attached to any of them that I can't sell em and replace with better genetics. Thank you for bringing that up.

We can buy 16% creep feed for $160 per ton delivered. At even a 10:1 conversion we are talking about 80 cents of feed for one pound of gain with 600 # calves selling for well over $1 per pound why wouldn't it make sense to creep feed? Especially in these times of droughts!

norriscathy,

I believe it would...especially in a drought. Because of lower forage quality/quantity, cows likely milking less and calves that are starting to graze will be getting less from forage than normal. This situation should see greater response and more efficient gain with creep. I have heard of ranchers using a limiter starting at about 400 lb. to hold down consumption and keep conversion more efficient. Gotta look out for a slide, if any.

And it's not just the slide you have to worry about. If you let calves get too fleshy, you will see buyers bid them down accordingly. You have to leave some cheap gain for the next guy.

texan,

ur right....another reason to use a limiter when the calves get older to avoid overconsumption and getting the calves "too fleshy".

rk":sc0y5bs4 said:
texan,

ur right....another reason to use a limiter when the calves get older to avoid overconsumption and getting the calves "too fleshy".

Thanks for the info rk & texan. We'll watch it closely. Hopefully we can put on a few pounds without getting the calves to fat.

lakading":3m7td838 said:
We put the feeders out in '05 for the first time in a while. Our feed cost was $0.05/lb and conversion was just a hair over 6:1. Made out pretty darn good this past year. Corn was cheap and calf prices were up. IMO you just have to do what the market is telling you is the most profitable.

I stocked up on ear corn last fall and plan to supplement with it this summer. Since I rotate cattle though some irregular pastures I planned to use portable creep feeders. I noticed that Apache offers a galvanized sheet metal option.

Any suggestions on better value portable feeder designs and brands that hold up well?

I don't creep. Last year's bulls average weaning weights were in the 675# range, heifer 640# range. 1200# cows. I know what the cows are really capable of that way. In your opinions, how much would creep-feeding have helped the weights of our calves? I maintain there is less advantage to creepfeeding the calves of heavy-milking cows versus poor-milking cows.

greenwillowherefords":34wbab9i said:
I don't creep. Last year's bulls average weaning weights were in the 675# range, heifer 640# range. 1200# cows. I know what the cows are really capable of that way. In your opinions, how much would creep-feeding have helped the weights of our calves? I maintain there is less advantage to creepfeeding the calves of heavy-milking cows versus poor-milking cows.

Your views on creep feeding are reasonable.

You're weaning about 55% of the cow's weight on average. I would say that you're wise in not creep feeding. Unless you just want to get them off the cows sooner.

novaman":3qg5wqwd said:
I'm struggling to see how creep feeding isn't profitable. I ran a few figures just to see what I could come up with. Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. I'll use oats as an example. Corn is even cheaper per pound so I'm not using the lowest figure. Say your calves have a F/G of 10:1, which is a conservative estimate. A bushel of oats is normally 32-35 pounds per bushel. That means that every bushel of oats should put 3 pounds on the calf. A bushel of oats around here costs 1 dollar. That means spending 1 dollar will net you 3 pounds of beef which would approximately be worth $3.50-3.75. Sure these figures can vary quite a bit but that seems profitable to me.

Are you feeding whole oats or rolling it with a mix?
Any upsets with this feed?

Stocker Steve":fl527a84 said:
novaman":fl527a84 said:
I'm struggling to see how creep feeding isn't profitable. I ran a few figures just to see what I could come up with. Correct me if I'm wrong somewhere. I'll use oats as an example. Corn is even cheaper per pound so I'm not using the lowest figure. Say your calves have a F/G of 10:1, which is a conservative estimate. A bushel of oats is normally 32-35 pounds per bushel. That means that every bushel of oats should put 3 pounds on the calf. A bushel of oats around here costs 1 dollar. That means spending 1 dollar will net you 3 pounds of beef which would approximately be worth $3.50-3.75. Sure these figures can vary quite a bit but that seems profitable to me.

Are you feeding whole oats or rolling it with a mix?
Any upsets with this feed?
I feed whole oats. As far as upsets, I really don't have a problem. I have had a couple instances of slight bloat after the calves stood in the creep feeder too long but like I said that's only a couple times over the years

Latest posts