Creep Feeding in Montana

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
I had these pictures e-mailed to me this morning- and decided to post them to show creep feeding in MT. ;-)

This is the caption with the pictures:
These are pictures taken a couple days ago (September 09)
on the Broken O Ranch on the Sun River near Simms, MT. Simms is 40 miles
from the Rocky mountains and 20 miles past Augusta , another 25-30 miles to
Great Falls .

Griz.jpg

Griz2.jpg

Griz3.jpg

Griz4.jpg

Griz5.jpg

Griz6.jpg

No surprise. The grizz are leaving the mountains like crazy this year.
Going to ask a friend who works at the Broken O if those pics came from there. Lots of reports coming in about the bears.
Heard this morning a bird hunter shot a grizz with a 12 guage while pheasant hunting.

Ryder":17bat6ti said:
Very interesting pictures.

Nice trees. :nod: From pictures I have seen I didn't know there were trees in Montana.

Most Montanians like West Texans think the common power line pole is the state tree. :kid:

And I was having a dilemma over a black bear in the apple orchard........ Looks like the creep is adding weight just fine. What do you suppose they weigh? how much are griz going for this fall? But my black bear will be worth more because he will make CAB.

How does a grizzly like that get in a fenced area? Does it crawl under it, jump it or just plow right through it leaving a mess for you to fix. If its the latter, I think those Jerimiah Johnson type fur coats would be excellent Christmas gifts.

Dave":plac6019 said:
And I was having a dilemma over a black bear in the apple orchard........ Looks like the creep is adding weight just fine. What do you suppose they weigh? how much are griz going for this fall? But my black bear will be worth more because he will make CAB.

:lol: :lol: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

I've never ate Griz--but the black bear I had sure didn't need any more fat/grease.....

Heard from our friends wife. They were 4 miles from their house. Everybody has been sighting the bears all over the Broken O and all around them.

We got a mountain lion around us. Wonder when the Loma Grizzly will show back up.

I luv herfrds":1n86r91u said:
Heard from our friends wife. They were 4 miles from their house. Everybody has been sighting the bears all over the Broken O and all around them.

We got a mountain lion around us. Wonder when the Loma Grizzly will show back up.

If you remember back to the journals of Lewis and Clark- and the paintings of Charlie Russell-- grizzlies were originally plains animals...Lewis and Clark spotted their first tracks on the Missouri in SD- and had their first run in with a grizzly on the Big Muddy creek north of what is now Culbertson Mt...

A local rancher found tracks on the Missouri south of us last year- altho I never heard of any live sitings...Lots of lions around...In the last couple years there have been young male lions killed near Billings, Lewistown and up in Alberta-- that were all tagged when they were cubs- in the Black Hills of SD- so they really travel when looking for a new homeground...

What we have quite a few of again this year is moose-- which is also something surprising to see out here in the middle of the prairie....

There are 5 bears total and they have started killing cows.

One rancher found a sow with cubs feeding on a cow, FWP tried to tell him the cow was sick and died and then the bears started eating her. ranchers response B.S.

Oldtimer":3dov2jhe said:
Dave":3dov2jhe said:

:lol: :lol: :nod: :lol2: :lol2:

I've never ate Griz--but the black bear I had sure didn't need any more fat/grease.....

Same here. Tough as shoe leather.

Several years ago the BNSF railroad derailed several carloads of corn over in the Glacier Park area... They just pushed the cars aside and got the tracks opened back up leaving the corn...That corn began fermenting- and the Grizzlys came in and had quite a "party" :drink: ;-) .....

They said it was quite a comedy to watch drunk Grizzlys staggering around everywhere...I think they finally got forced to come in and clean up the mess because so many bears were getting hit on the tracks...

Latest posts