Creep Feeders

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Anyone have a particular creep feeder they prefer? I've been looking around, and notice a wide variety of styles and designs.

Any links / pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks!

The last one I bought at the local MFA has the plastic trough and back and steel ends. We had a lot of trouble with the steel ones rusting out and kept re-patching them every couple years. This one seems to be holding up.

We set up a large pen with a feeder inside for the calves. Then we can cover part of it, and bed it down if needed in the winter. All corral panels or fencing, with a creep feeder gate at one corner for the calves to come in. Works great, and easy to catch calves and load them in a trailer when you're ready to wean or ship them.

cornstalk":28hc1p0i said:
Anyone have a particular creep feeder they prefer? I've been looking around, and notice a wide variety of styles and designs.

Any links / pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dad made the one I use for my bucket calves. An iron frame with vertical bars welded into place, at varying widths to accomodate the calves as they grow, wired or chained (depending on whether the bucket calves are actually bucket calves and in with the weaning calves, or calves that need a little help because mom doesn't produce milk very well and are in with the main herd) across an opening in the corral fence that is usually blocked by a panel. We have some hog feeders that I put blocks of railroad tie under to raise to the appropriate height so the calves can reach them. Depending on your set-up, it shouldn't be too hard to modify to fit your needs.

we havent used ours since 1983 but the calves still like to hang out in it. i guess its like a clubhouse or something.

I use one sided feeders that hold 600 lbs. the LiL Creeper brand runs around 375 dollars and the Elk River runs around 500. Either one can be loaded in the back of a pickup and moved by one person or can be moved with a front end loader. Either will feed up to 20-25 calves in a pasture and calves up to 650-700 lbs can eat out of it or use the controller bar and limit the size of calves to a smaller size if you want to. I have a dozen of that smaller size, one to a pasture as opposed to having the big 2 or 3 ton feeders.

I built my own from an old 150 bushel hopper wagon. I attached a trough to the side of it, and put three calf panels around it. The hopper wagon was going unused, and the panels were 75 bucks each. I welded up a couple hooks for the backside of the wagon, so when its time to move the rigging, I pick up the panels, hang them off the backside, and hook up with either truck or tractor.

Rod

WE jsut bought three 16 foot Apaches... they were 1000 less than the 16 foot farmstar's that I could get locally and had a capacity of 100 bushels more.. It was an easy decision for me.. The deal tehe was I had to buy a whole semi load so I found a neighbor who was looking and he took one as well... I knew I needed 32-36 more feet of creep length if I was going to feed this year.. If I had gone with 12 footers the farmstar would have been more competative.. If I lived closer to the Dakotas Weldweiser would have been in serious contention.

Anthony

Latest posts