creep feeder color important?

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Does color of feeder have any advantage in starting calves on feed? I saw an ad today for an apache feeder and one of there selling points was that the feeders white color helps get calves using the feeder faster. Can cattle even see color?

Ciriosity has a lot more to do with them using it at first then color. From what I've seen, all that color does is let you know who made it.

i agree with dun.ive seen green creep feeders an red creep feeders.an if you put them in the pasture being something new the calves will check it out.

The only thing I can say is, the darker color they painted the metal, the hotter it will get in the summer. If the feed has a higher moisture content, like from molasses, it has a greater chance of spoilage if it stays in there too long.

denoginnizer":2n5oe7hm said:
Does color of feeder have any advantage in starting calves on feed?

No, I do not believe that the color of the feeder has anything to do with them starting on feed faster.

I read one time that cattle were color blind, I don't know how they tested them, guess they found someone that could talk a lot of bull!!

Latest posts