Creep Feed - What do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords":2wy5o1xe said:
We make our own. Corn/rye/oats/molasses/sometimes a little high moisture hay.
Where's the protein coming from? That must be a free choice feed not a supplement, or you have some really good hay. When I feed crappy 6 to 8% hay I like to feed around 20% protein. And when I feed good 10% hay I cut back the WCS till I'm feeding about 15% protein.

True Grit Farms":1g67l8pa said:
MRRherefords":1g67l8pa said:
Where's the protein coming from? That must be a free choice feed not a supplement, or you have some really good hay. When I feed crappy 6 to 8% hay I like to feed around 20% protein. And when I feed good 10% hay I cut back the WCS till I'm feeding about 15% protein.
Sorry Grit. Should have clarified. That is a free choice feed and we do buy feed with protein in it to feed to a lot of them.

I was feeding cheaper grade oats with nice alfalfa hay and I eventually stumbled upon a guy who sells cull frozen French fries from a processing plant and tried a load to just to add on to what they were getting and I was really impressed after feeding the fries after a few weeks

We make our own too. Use wheat, corn+ sugar beet meal, peas, rapeseed meal, minerals. That's a summer ration. At the moment using only peas, corn+sugar beet meal, minerals. And of course +hay or baleage hay in winter.

Jthurler said:
I was feeding cheaper grade oats with nice alfalfa hay and I eventually stumbled upon a guy who sells cull frozen French fries from a processing plant and tried a load to just to add on to what they were getting and I was really impressed after feeding the fries after a few weeks

There is a reason that they recommend a person to eat a max of 6 fries per meal. :)

I had some mixed up a few weeks ago:

1500 lbs of cracked corn
300 lbs of distillers
200 lbs of soybean meal

$263 for a ton.

Calves like it and are doing great on it. I feed about 2 lbs per head to the calves right now.

True Grit Farms said:
MRRherefords said:

Grit you're wasting a lot of protein and money.

TexasBred said:
True Grit Farms said:
MRRherefords said:

Grit you're wasting a lot of protein and money.
TB please expand on your thoughts. I'm feeding 5-6 pounds of a 50 - 50 mix of wcs and corn a day. Cows are maintaining and not getting fat but they are a little loose.

Son of Butch said:
We are creep feeding Purina Rangeland calf creep 14 B68 medicated (Bovatec) $200 ton
14% protein
1% fat
25% fiber
.80% cal
.40% phos
.50% salt
.70% potassium
zinc sulfate 225 ppm
copper 75 ppm
selenium 1.0 ppm
Vitamin A 10,000 iu/lb
Vitamin D 1,000 iu
Vitamin E 10 iu

Price $200 ton (10 cents lb)
I was thinking of extending it with my own ground shell corn $2.80 bushel (5 cents lb)
Purina Nutritionist says don't do it, corn will add too much energy and the calves will get too fat too early.
We feed out the calves ourselves. Pasture grass is pretty much done here, free choice hay with their dams.
What do you think?

What do you feed?
What does it cost?

Any comments appreciated.

Go ahead and add the corn. They need the energy more than the protein and a good chance that feed contains less than 100 lb. of corn in a ton especially with 25% crude fiber. Cheap feed, cheap ingredients, but it has checkerboards. :lol2: