Creep Feed - What do you use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
We are creep feeding Purina Rangeland calf creep 14 B68 medicated (Bovatec) $200 ton
14% protein
1% fat
25% fiber
.80% cal
.40% phos
.50% salt
.70% potassium
zinc sulfate 225 ppm
copper 75 ppm
selenium 1.0 ppm
Vitamin A 10,000 iu/lb
Vitamin D 1,000 iu
Vitamin E 10 iu

Price $200 ton (10 cents lb)
I was thinking of extending it with my own ground shell corn $2.80 bushel (5 cents lb)
Purina Nutritionist says don't do it, corn will add too much energy and the calves will get too fat too early.
We feed out the calves ourselves. Pasture grass is pretty much done here, free choice hay with their dams.
What do you think?

What do you feed?
What does it cost?

Any comments appreciated.

Son of Butch":7r7g13gq said:
We are creep feeding Purina Rangeland calf creep 14 B68 medicated (Bovatec) $200 ton
14% protein
1% fat
25% fiber
.80% cal
.40% phos
.50% salt
.70% potassium
zinc sulfate 225 ppm
copper 75 ppm
selenium 1.0 ppm
Vitamin A 10,000 iu/lb
Vitamin D 1,000 iu
Vitamin E 10 iu

Price $200 ton (10 cents lb)
I was thinking of extending it with my own ground shell corn $2.80 bushel (5 cents lb)
Purina Nutritionist says don't do it, corn will add too much energy and the calves will get too fat too early.
We feed out the calves ourselves. Pasture grass is pretty much done here, free choice hay with their dams.
What do you think?

What do you feed?
What does it cost?

Any comments appreciated.
how much are oats up there? I got some for $2/but. 2 ton mix I put 800# ddg, 120 bp balancer from Purina and rest 50/50 corn/oats. I don't know why you couldn't add corn and some ddg or corn gluten pellets to the range pellet. It's a grand feed. Used it for years. Just been trying use more of our own feed or not been creeping at all

I grow corn (but not oats) and would like to feed what I grow.
It would be easy for me to grind the shell corn and mix it with the Purina Rangeland pellet for the calves.

I think the Purina nutritionist's hidden reason for saying don't do it, is that I would be buying less feed from them.

If I was going to fatten the calves on my own farm, I'd use the corn. I don't understand the objection - unless some are going to be retained.

But my favorite creep is oats because I retain.

angus9259":1811a71r said:
If I was going to fatten the calves on my own farm, I'd use the corn. I don't understand the objection - unless some are going to be retained.

Just oats?

$200 a ton- WOW. Low grade crap in a bag is $275 a ton here. Will have to price that at the local dealer, curious how much difference there is. I know I pay close to double that for Accuration creep. Shelled corn here is around $4 a bushel and most won't sell it to you. At $200 a ton I could afford to feed mine.

SmokinM":2c5z8siz said:
$200 a ton- WOW. Low grade crap in a bag is $275 a ton here. Will have to price that at the local dealer, curious how much difference there is. I know I pay close to double that for Accuration creep. Shelled corn here is around $4 a bushel and most won't sell it to you. At $200 a ton I could afford to feed mine.

This is my situation too. Just got a price from my guy on the 14% purina and it was $320 a ton.

- Raise some cover crop mixes but usually use graze these off in August during the summer slump.
- Raise some oats and start creep feeding with that once pasture gets washy in September. Local oats was $1.50/bu last year and $2/bu this year. Calves look good on it. Feed conversion is ???
- Start using some corn when the weather turns in November. Have tried fence line feeding silage, grazing standing corn, and a oats/corn creep blend. Best approach depends on herd size, sex, and pasture layout.

I think a low cost Artic Vortex approach is to leave calves on the bale grazed cows, and set up a creep gate to supplement calves till the annual January price bounce. The other low cost option is too work on creep grazing of standing feed.

Sex is always a big factor. An optimizer would have different feeding approaches for heifers and steers. :idea:

5S Cattle":305g6njy said:
angus9259":305g6njy said:

Just oats?

Works great - when they're cheap. I wouldn't do anything except I fall calve in a northern climate so my calves are nursing in January in the snow.

Creep feed has always been so expensive here and the critters eat so much it doesn't pencil out. I wish we could get feed for 200 a ton.

I have it custom mixed for $200.00 per ton. They mix for whatever I'm trying to do like if I'm bout to wean and the feeder is going to follow then into the weaning lot they will bump up the limiter so they don't over do it. B&G

Stocker Steve":btg3wvbp said:
Literature is all over on creep feed conversion. Do you have any personal trusted information on this?

It works great for me but I'm as harsh as it gets - nursing calves over the winter in the snow. calves do great - but by the time I wean them they are eating 10 - 15 lbs per day of oats so it's not cheap. If I calved in the spring I wouldn't do it.

Latest posts