Creep feed vs. tubs

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
Well we finally got an inch of rain Friday night. Other than .2, I hadn't had a thing since May 19. Ive got one more set of pastures that I can go into, so I should be good for another month and then the first pasture should have some regrowth. After that I have no clue.

Ive been told that if you feed protein that it will increase feed consumption. Yet the old timers school of thought is that creep feed will "streach" your grass. Ive always felt a pound is a pound. If you can put it on cheap enough without fleshy its money in your pocket. Pelleted, fiber based (mids and hulls Im guessing) for $169 a ton. I usually wean and background, which should mean I get some compensitory gain. I sold my good feeder last year. Could go the tub route. Feed man says that creep is a better bang for my buck to do what I want.

I know early weaning is soposedly the cheapest and best way to go. I really don't want chores yet! :lol: So I guess what Im asking is...if feeding protein will increase the desire to eat...say feeding tubs in less grazed areas, will feeding creep also increase roughage consumption? I know putting the tubs in poorer quality forage areas will draw them to graze there. Ive also seen stuff that says feeding protein will increase fiber consumption. So will creep save some grass or take the pressure off the cows or will it increase the calfs consumption of roughage?

There are others more qualified to answer this than me but in my experience the calves drink just as much milk even on creep . Therefore causing the cows to need the same amount of forage . It seems to me that the calves graze when the cows graze weather they have just stepped out of the feeder or not . And protein will make them consume more grass might try a high energy feed .

Well thats kinda what I kinda think also. The calf is going to suck, and usually suck until its dry. Yet I can see if they get started on the creep, that if they are full it might cut down on milk intake. Might not streach the grass, but it might take the pressure off the cow and keep her in a better BCS. Myself thats what I think it does. If the cow don't have as much stress she wouldn't need as many calories to maintain her weight.

I guess when push comes to shove thats what is needing done. Raise the calf untill weaning without having the cow go down hill. Of course if Im buying creep Im basicly raising the calf. Thus the early weaning thought. I could per say buy hay eventually and try to keep them both in a good BCS or buy creep which is easier right now to feed and do the same thing...kinda.

IDK, my concern (I could be wrong) is higher protein will make them fleshier. How would higher energy do me any good don't higher energy increase flesh? Might cut pasture though. Kinda a limit feed deal is what your saying?

Yes limit feeding . Higher protien makes them feel hungry thus they eat more forage . Higher energy will make them full . If hay you have plenty hay it would be easier to feed the cows. They arent going to reduce the amount of milk they are making because the calf is eating feed .

Latest posts