Creep feed free choice ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
I made a creep area for my calves. I have grass hay in there right now, and am giving calves 4 pounds of starter a day. My question. Can I fill up a creep feeder with starter or another feed and leave it free choice ? If so what type of feed or mix is the best to leave free choice ? Thanks

Oats are not cheap to come by here. I've got shelled corn and plenty of it. I've got a few young calves on the ground now, would the whole corn mixed with something be worth trying or would I be better off to buy a creep ration like Purina?

Oats are not cheap to come by here. I've got shelled corn and plenty of it. I've got a few young calves on the ground now, would the whole corn mixed with something be worth trying or would I be better off to buy a creep ration like Purina?
No idea what the best feed is, but calves will eat shelled corn. I have seen other people feed whole kernel corn, but cracked corn is my preference. One year I tried Purina calf starter. The calves ate our usual blended feed better than the Purina starter.

That's the wall I seem to be running into.
Can you find a creep feed that contains wheat midds? That's a pretty good ingredient and not too spendy--anyway wasn't in the past--not sure about now. Salt would be the limiter, but you definitely need a limiter or you could get some bloating.

I have put a creep feeder in for about 2 weeks before weaning just to get them interested in a grain mix and know how to eat it before weaning. I use a hopper type feeder with adjustable slide but do not feel it limits them much. I have not run into problems with the greedy ones as I feel that they are just getting the idea of eating it. If it was in for a longer period I would look at limiting their intake especially for financial reasons.

Ken

I've thought about this and have been wanting to try using the a timed deer feeder fed into a funnel that goes into the creep feeder. My only concern is if it malfunctions and dumps everything.

I talked to a guy at a bulls sale that feeds this unlimited to his calves and says he has never had any issues. He had the heaviest bull there. I think it was 18 months and 2000 pounds.

Attachments

• A99DD5D9-DF28-4D6F-BC1E-D4B991FB9D01.png
    A99DD5D9-DF28-4D6F-BC1E-D4B991FB9D01.png
    841.2 KB · Views: 24
  • FB1EE1C7-3322-4C0C-89F7-183419EE9861.png
    FB1EE1C7-3322-4C0C-89F7-183419EE9861.png
    530.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I've used a locally produced feed especially formulated for free choice creep feeding and didn't have any problems. I think it has added salt to limit intake, but I'm not sure about that.
I would bet it does. Look at the ingredient list. It should have an ingredient list somewhere.

I talked to a guy at a bulls sale that feeds this unlimited to his calves and says he has never had any issues. He had the heaviest bull there. I think it was 18 months and 2000 pounds.
Why do you want that Richie? I like good weight for age but being overdone gets a lot of negative comments here. I think 2 yr old bulls start to look the goods and marketable once they hit the 800kg mark, my yearling bulls that I sell at 13-15 months look the goods at 600kg, all easily done without creep feed. I think there is an art in having them at the right weight at sale time to express their characteristics without being overdone. I think you might be under the Branded influence of feed, feed, feed.
You also have to consider what that extra feed is going to cost you against any perceived higher sale price.
I do understand though that with multivendor sales it starts to be a bit of a race for the heaviest bull.

Ken

Why do you want that Richie? I like good weight for age but being overdone gets a lot of negative comments here. I think 2 yr old bulls start to look the goods and marketable once they hit the 800kg mark, my yearling bulls that I sell at 13-15 months look the goods at 600kg, all easily done without creep feed. I think there is an art in having them at the right weight at sale time to express their characteristics without being overdone. I think you might be under the Branded influence of feed, feed, feed.
You also have to consider what that extra feed is going to cost you against any perceived higher sale price.
I do understand though that with multivendor sales it starts to be a bit of a race for the heaviest bull.

Ken
I agree with you. But unfortunately fat and epds sell. I have to do what sells. To make up for the high expenses.

IMO that is TOO HEAVY for a 18 month old bull. Again, just my opinion.
Watch the behinds of your bulls, are they loose? If so, that shows an upset rumen.
They should have clean behinds. Go to a bull show and look for yourself. Pretty interesting
what you find.

My animals are fine, I feed a lot of hay not so much gain if any. I would like to add some pounds to weaning and yearling though. I did notice some line green/yellow rears at a bull sale.

Latest posts