creek fence

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I need some good ideas how to build a creek fence that will hold up. the gap is pretty wide with a bank that has eroded out over the years, if you have a good idea, post it, and if possible with pictures-we have .75 mile of fence to build and the creek fence will be the hardest part of it

How wide-tall? Also what is the bank shaped like straight drop or gentle? What kind of fence are you building to it and how much variation in flow rate do you get? A lot of options every one better suited to a particular situation.

I've got three water gaps I am constantly maintaining. Various widths when dry and flooded and no help from anyone else.

I got some sidewalls (cut by the tire repair shop so they can take them to the land fill). Strung a cable over the creek and attached to two trees on each side. Ran cable thru the sidewalls before attaching the ends. I hang bend gates, round bale feeder pieces, or any other iron pieces to inhibit cattle from moving thru. Use wire on the sidewalls to the top of the iron gates and adjust as needed. The flex of the cable and the sidewalls allows the gates to swing (some) when tree trash floats down.

It requires constant checking after a big rain because the remainder of the section gets no attention from the owners and it's all brush/timber.

The span is about 30 feet with an erodible bank-we had thought of the cable idea with cattle panels or tin-that creek has not been high in years, but as soon as we fix it sure enough it will rain alot and take it out

GMN":3mc64gwi said:
The span is about 30 feet with an erodible bank-we had thought of the cable idea with cattle panels or tin-that creek has not been high in years, but as soon as we fix it sure enough it will rain alot and take it out

Sounds like a pretty small watergap i manage around 100 watergaps. I think 18 on my on pastures, the rest for customers. Here is what i would do.
Terminate your fence on both sides above high water mark.between the fence end braces build braces for watergap. Don't cut corners on braces . put diagonal (dead man ) braces in at least two directions. Parallel and perpendicular to creek. Four directions if you can.pull a 3/8 inch cable across creek at fence hieght. Install a18 inch turnbuckle on one side to adjust cable tension. Put a t post on each side of main channel (use longer t post if necessary to keep top of post above. High water mark.) wire cable to top of t post. Install cattle panels from high banks working towards channel from each side. IMPORTANT overlap panels with lower panels being downstream . wire panels together minimally with light wire(14 gauge).same with wiring top of panels to cable. Keep bottom of panels as high as you dare to keep stock in. The idea is in a flood the panels can break away consecutively as needed. Usually after water recedes you can recover panels and repair gap easily. If there is a biblical flood that takes the whole thing.it dosent get the fence to.