creek crossing problems

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 3 1/2 year old gelding that when riding and taking him out and trying to get him to cross a little creek (appx.2 ft. wide)he will not cross it. He will just dance around and fight it.He goes into a panic sweat and everything. It is like he is scared to death of creeks or something. Any suggestions on how to break him of this and being able to get him to cross wet and dry creeks? Thanks!

[email protected]

> I have a 3 1/2 year old gelding
> that when riding and taking him
> out and trying to get him to cross
> a little creek (appx.2 ft. wide)he
> will not cross it. He will just
> dance around and fight it.He goes
> into a panic sweat and everything.
> It is like he is scared to death
> of creeks or something. Any
> suggestions on how to break him of
> this and being able to get him to
> cross wet and dry creeks? Thanks!

Roger by nature horses can't seem to judge debth,by that I mean they can't seem to see a 3' dropoff or a 1000' dropoff whitch may explain why some will fall off a cliff and leave the rider scratching there heads.It seems as if others sence a change in the ground and become fearful of the change ie.walking accross a bridge the hollow sound it makes spooks horses also. As for training your young horse you need lots of paients and lots of time,hopefully this creek is near bye and you can try this everyday for a while.1.Ride up to the creek and keep the nose of your horse pointed at the creek.Every time he takes a step foward praise him loudly.GOOD BOY etc.pet, Rub his neck. If he tryies to turn arround don't let him, keep his nose twords the creek.Ask him to repeat until you get him to cross. 2. Another way if you don't feel comfortable with no.1 is to ask a good friend to ride with you,they must have a safe and reliable horse that will cross creeks.Have the older horse cross and show your horse it's ok and nothing bad will happen.then ask your horse to follow the older horse right accross the creek. This gives your horse so much confidence,you will be suprised. Sometimes these lessons take awhile to learn.Take your time and don't loose your temper.I prommise it will pay off in the long run as when you come to that bridge I spoke about. Also it helps to have your horse worked down and not fresh.Less energy for the fight.Stay safe wear a helment and GOOD LUCK!!!

[email protected]

Haven't been on this board in a while. Perhaps you have gotten to the other side of the creek by now.

If not, I have been through this many times. All I can add to the other post is that the reliable horse that crosses in front of you should stop in the creek and wait for your horse. If possible ride with your horse's nose right up to the other horse's rump. This will take a quiet old lead horse.

The other thing that may work is to walk into the creek leading your horse. Get your rubber boots out and don't plan to stay dry! Your horse doesn't like guessing what is under the water surface, or how deep it is. Since he is used to leading next to you, that will give him an idea how deep the creek is. Don't face him and pull. Face your body in the direction you are trying to go and tug and release.

Also, find some puddles to lead him through. Many horses don't like to get their feet wet at all. If you can lead him through a puddle you have half the battle won.

Good luck.

Latest posts