Crazy Winter Weather

Help Support CattleToday:

farmerjan

Reaction score
Well, we have had a winter to put in the books so far. I am sure all you further south really have some things to write home about. From very dry fall averaging less than 1/3 to half normal rainfall each month, and creeks and ponds drying up and wells and springs falling way short , to record setting cold in late Dec and early Jan, with prolonged cold here in Va and no snowfall to protect the ground.
Now we are getting rain, that I am trying to be very thankful for, but the ground still has alot of frost in it so the top couple inches are just a quagmire of muck and mud. It rained Wed. and made it slippery and now is raining really seriously and we are due to get over an inch on top of nearly an inch the other day. Supposed to get rain/showers for the next couple of days, then warmer 50's plus, then rain again the following week. This is FEB....not that I wanted 2 ft. of snow, but a couple inches of rain at a time? And downpour strength like it is right now? On top of frozen ground?

What used to be colder and snow in the winter months, like Dec, Jan Feb, is now anyone's guess. This is hard on the cows and new calves and the people trying to take care of them.

Yeah, Kenny, Afton was a mess the other day. High enough elevation that it freezes alot. I'm down 81 near the McCormick farm area, but it is the highest elevation in Rockbridge county so we get some ice that other areas don't always see.
I hate this cold rain on the cows and little calves. Snow actually seems to be easier. The rain soaks them to the skin; the snow doesn't seem to chill them so much if they get a good tummy full of colostrum and a pile of hay to curl up in. And this resulting mud just begs for them to get sick.

M-5":3b886aqw said:
We are supposed to be in 80's next week. I'm hoping it hangs around but I'm sure it's just teaser

Keep your weather comments to yourself :lol: We are suppose to be in the 50s so I guess that's not to bad for the middle of February

pricefarm":1gejilva said:
M-5":1gejilva said:
We are supposed to be in 80's next week. I'm hoping it hangs around but I'm sure it's just teaser

Keep your weather comments to yourself :lol: We are suppose to be in the 50s so I guess that's not to bad for the middle of February
Awoke to weather alarm this morning for tornado warning. I don't recall a Feb tornadoes before.

Yea I need to be hauling calves to the barn but I got the trailer in the field it sank to axles and it's still raining so definitely not going to be getting it out loaded.. oh yea it's been raining the last 2 days

Bright Raven":3r6zpe7b said:
This has been tough but I really cannot say it is hurting the cows or calves.
Cows get comfortable about the same time you have to put your heavy coat on.

We got 3.1" rain yesterday for a total of over 6" this week. Still pouring rain. Widespread flooding. We're safe but I do have a couple acres flooded.

M-5":dajf0knb said:
pricefarm":dajf0knb said:
M-5":dajf0knb said:

Awoke to weather alarm this morning for tornado warning. I don't recall a Feb tornadoes before.
That's one of our bigger problems in north Al. we can have tornados year round.. Worse in the spring of course,, warm gulf air,from the south..getting hit head on by cold fronts from the north..

Yeah, yeah, blame us Northerners for your bad weather LOL LOL
Been drizzling here today. Winter is supposed to get cold and STAY cold. We had a nice foot of snow, quickly getting less by the hour. bummer.
M-5 & Kenny - so sorry you guys are getting slammed with the rain. PLEASE keep it down there, or go out to sea - go away - not NORTH.

The heavy rains - excess of 3 inches and more - went south of here. SE Kentucky is suffering. Harlan county has declared an emergency.

With regard to unrolling. I unrolled a roll on the pad, granted, I did it not to feed but to provide bedding. I watched to see how they would handle it. First, the calves bucked and played on it. Then the cows walked up and down it, crapping and urinating. Then they took a couple bites and laid down. This morning it looks like manure.

I think I convinced myself that unrolling requires trained cows. Lol

Seriously, seems like my hay rings are much more effective.

It has been extremely mild here. We are actually ahead of things moisture wise but it has been in the form of rain. Very few snow events here. And they were mostly gone the day it snowed. Very little snow in the mountains. The ski resorts have been crying the blues. The city water systems and the irrigation districts that rely on mountain snow pack run off will be in big trouble next summer.

farmerjan":1co2hr62 said:
Well, we have had a winter to put in the books so far. I am sure all you further south really have some things to write home about. From very dry fall averaging less than 1/3 to half normal rainfall each month, and creeks and ponds drying up and wells and springs falling way short , to record setting cold in late Dec and early Jan, with prolonged cold here in Va and no snowfall to protect the ground.
Now we are getting rain, that I am trying to be very thankful for, but the ground still has alot of frost in it so the top couple inches are just a quagmire of muck and mud. It rained Wed. and made it slippery and now is raining really seriously and we are due to get over an inch on top of nearly an inch the other day. Supposed to get rain/showers for the next couple of days, then warmer 50's plus, then rain again the following week. This is FEB....not that I wanted 2 ft. of snow, but a couple inches of rain at a time? And downpour strength like it is right now? On top of frozen ground?

What used to be colder and snow in the winter months, like Dec, Jan Feb, is now anyone's guess. This is hard on the cows and new calves and the people trying to take care of them.
I see your area has up to near 2 inches of rain.(Over toward Irish Gap).We are wet and muddy on this side of the county ,as well.My sorting pens were fun to be in getting ready for sale last Friday.

Latest posts