Crazy Weather!

Help Support CattleToday:

creekdrive

Reaction score
Alberta hit with 4 tornadoes in 4 days:
http://globalnews.ca/news/2801393/alber ... in-4-days/

The tornado the article talks about last (yesterdays) and has video of was less than a mile from my house...EEK!
We've been getting some pretty crazy weather so far this year. Not complaining about the moisture that comes with these summer storms, but the twisters and the hail can stay away!

These are my pictures that I managed to get of it yesterday. I'm looking at it straight out my back door looking East. I believe the storm chaser that took the video is looking North at it.

IMG_8892sm_zpsknce0f9h.jpg

I was checking some pastures when I noticed the storm coming

IMG_8926sm_zpsrgqbmmau.jpg

on my way home

IMG_8927sm_zpsqzb9mgue.jpg

right before my house.

IMG_8942sm_zpsrrzqffpe.jpg

IMG_8931sm_zpsqxb3xezs.jpg

clouds were swirling every direction.

About 10 or so golf ball sized hail stones fell, that's when I decided I should probably get indoors...

IMG_8967sm_zpsfk1acvc1.jpg

From my back door

another minute or so later:
IMG_8978sm_zps3gi3x77h.jpg

IMG_8976sm_zpstdyo1ohz.jpg

The only real damage was at the neighbors a little over a mile away. They had a 53ft enclosed semi trailer tipped on its side, and some trees and branches blown over. That's about all that we could see for damage when we went for a drive after the storm had cleared. Very lucky it wasn't bigger! It did manage to ruffle up some bales that we had lined up:
IMG_8990sm_zpsmnr1ewat.jpg

the bales are lined up like that for probably a quarter mile and the whole line is looking a little windblown. Somehow it left the swaths of hay completely untouched though which was lucky. Also noticed some trees down on our land, but nothing major. Watching it from my house it was kind of surreal though. It all seemed very calm considering I was watching a tornado develop right over top of my house! It wasn't even that windy which I thought was odd. It rained for less than a minute and wasn't even enough to completely wet the deck.

I know some of you live in areas where these things are fairly common - I don't know how you do it! They scare the crap out of me!!

They scare me as well, glad your safe they can sure do some damage! We live in hurricane country, I hate hurricanes but they don't scare me like a tornado does, we have time to prepare for a hurricane the tornadoes just show up!

Gizmom

They used to not happen here, but unfortunately are becoming more the norm. My place has been hit 3 times in 10 years. The truly big ones are the attention getters.

Bigfoot":1ztueead said:
They used to not happen here, but unfortunately are becoming more the norm. My place has been hit 3 times in 10 years. The truly big ones are the attention getters.

I can't even imagine! As a teenager I would have panic attacks and nightmares worrying about tornadoes. I seem to have grown out of it though. Yesterday's event I didn't really get nervous till the TV switched from whatever it was on to a Tornado siren... I thought maybe I should get to the basement, but I don't like not seeing what's coming. :hide: I kept watching the cows in the pasture in front of the house and they didn't seem concerned so I just used that to assure myself that it wasn't too serious.

They do happen up here on the prairies. I believe I read somewhere this morning that there was 15 in Alberta last summer. I remember 10+ years ago there seemed to be a lot more severe weather. Not much the last few years. There has been a few big ones in the past that really did some damage. I think the storm chasers are in for an exciting summer this year!

gizmom":1ztueead said:
They scare me as well, glad your safe they can sure do some damage! We live in hurricane country, I hate hurricanes but they don't scare me like a tornado does, we have time to prepare for a hurricane the tornadoes just show up!

Gizmom

The no warning part is what scares me the most! When the tornado siren came on the TV yesterday I was already watching it take place. If it had been a bigger one that could actually do damage it would've been much too late to actually warn people.