Crazy story.....I killed a dog

Help Support CattleToday:

My first thought when it happened. They "normally " go on a 4 wheeler. It would have been no problem to leave him behind on a 4 wheeler. The old chick wagon just would do it. I've had two calves lose their switch in the last month, and one come up missing. I wasn't ready to blame a dog, but it'll be interesting to see if it stops.
Lose their switch?

This is getting crazier as we go. I have just gotten back from my 3rd visit to their home. Can't change their mind. They are convinced the dog was just "playin around", and that I over reacted. I hope we've conversated for the last time, but I fear this is not done.

Too bad you didn't get some video of it. I've gotten along with more pit bulls than german shepherds... The ones I did like, were all very well trained dogs.

Make sure the sheriff knows that you've had livestock damage, and if it mysteriously stops now, well...

These neighbors don't seem like the good kind, so don't take legal action off the table just yet, it may be the only way they learn

You can't treat crappy people like classy people. You had to know going in that talking to the people wasn't going to end well. My Dad always said you shouldn't give a dog a reason to bite you and the dog shouldnt give you a reason to shoot it. SSS would have served you well here, I hope it doesn't get to nasty.

About 6 years ago my wife called me and said be careful when I got home because there were 2 pitbulls in my tractor shed. When I got home they were still there and wouldn't come out. I asked my wife had she seen our dogs since she got home and she said no so I started looking for them. Found my blue heeler dead in the yard so I got my shotgun and smoked both of the pitbulls. Found my rat terrier about 3 days later when I seen the buzzards circling in the pasture, the dogs had pulverized him, they had gotten my heeler by the throat. There was name on the dogs collars that I didn't recognize so I cut the collars off and hauled off dogs to the woods. Mentioned the ordeal to some neighbors and turns out dogs were normally penned but when they were out they would terrorize whoever they came in contact with, chase kids, chase people riding their horses. The owners posted a hefty reward for the dogs but no one told them who killed them because they were all glad I done it. They did tell them what happened but not who done it. The people were new to our tea and didn't stay here long.

Actually ends on a good note. After sleeping on it, and thinking about it, they approached me today, and were very apologetic. I gave them pretty free reign to speak their mind yesterday. I knew they were grieving and upset. I am very thankful how it ended. Also, the dog apparently cost them big money. I don't ask, they say how much. Was only 10 months old. That actually shocked me. Assuming it's over, I think it ended as good as it possibly could.

I still would have had it tested for rabies. And if your son was there then there were other people that could collaborate what happened. And there is a possibility that the dog had other problems that had not come out previously. I am glad that they seem to be accepting and that you were able to allow them to vent their anger and upset. I hope for your sake that it is over.

I went ahead and gave my lawyer a heads up today. Any more contact the other side has with me, I'm telling them to call him. He gets $50 and hour to deal with people like this, and it's worth it to me to move on.

They wish I had shot it in the leg. I won't explain the mechanics of that to you, but double ought buckshot from 2 feet away wouldn't have produced the outcome they were hoping for.

I went ahead and gave my lawyer a heads up today. Any more contact the other side has with me, I'm telling them to call him. He gets $50 and hour to deal with people like this, and it's worth it to me to move on.

They wish I had shot it in the leg. I won't explain the mechanics of that to you, but double ought buckshot from 2 feet away wouldn't have produced the outcome they were hoping for.
Craziest thing of the story...a lawyer that works for 50.00.
LoL

Latest posts