Crazy story.....I killed a dog

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
This will sound unbelievable.....Went out on my little chuck wagon side by side this afternoon to check the cows. My son is riding with. We encountered a big German Shepherd. It came after us on the side by side. Trying to bite us (did bite me twice). Had no gun, and could not out run him. Couldn't stop to get a gate open to get away. Finally stabbed him in the neck with a pocket knife, and it just got worse. I mean, I suck this case pocket knife as deep as it would go. Called my daughter to bring us a shotgun. We had to hand the gun off on the move like a baton. 12 gauge buckshot to the head, and it was over. The whole thing drug out for somewhere between 30-45 minutes from the encounter til I finally killed it. Not the craziest thing I've ever been involved in, but one of the craziest.
Debated on calling the sheriff or not, but did. He recommended what I was already thinking. Dead dogs tell no tails.

Wow, that's crazy. Better is was you rather than some young kids.
My first thought when it happened. They "normally " go on a 4 wheeler. It would have been no problem to leave him behind on a 4 wheeler. The old chick wagon just would do it. I've had two calves lose their switch in the last month, and one come up missing. I wasn't ready to blame a dog, but it'll be interesting to see if it stops.

I was always taught that "you never argue with the neighbor's dog" just find a hole to roll him in and don't have a clue what happened to him.
If you have a choice it's better to shoot them anywhere besides the head, so that the lab has a fully intacted brain to test.
Sounds like an eventful day, glad you're ok.

Starting to think either I need to move to where there is more excitement or Bigfoot needs to move to somewhere quieter. You got some weird stuff going down there bud.
I don't know what a chuck wagon side x side is but seems if it couldn't outrun the dog it ought to be able to run over the dog. 30-45 mins is a pretty long ordeal for that type of thing. Glad everybody survived but the dog, sounds like he had it coming. Add another notch to your gun there Walt Disney!

I carry a 22mag for just this reason. Had the neighbors lab grab a hold of my son's leg a few years ago...... dispatches coyotes too!

I was out one Sunday after in 2013 on a road I had walked many times. Three dogs just about killed me. Three surgeons sewed me up in an 1 hour and 45 mins. Dogs will kill you. By the grace of God I lived.

This will sound unbelievable.....Went out on my little chuck wagon side by side this afternoon to check the cows. My son is riding with. We encountered a big German Shepherd. It came after us on the side by side. Trying to bite us (did bite me twice). Had no gun, and could not out run him. Couldn't stop to get a gate open to get away. Finally stabbed him in the neck with a pocket knife, and it just got worse. I mean, I suck this case pocket knife as deep as it would go. Called my daughter to bring us a shotgun. We had to hand the gun off on the move like a baton. 12 gauge buckshot to the head, and it was over. The whole thing drug out for somewhere between 30-45 minutes from the encounter til I finally killed it. Not the craziest thing I've ever been involved in, but one of the craziest.
Debated on calling the sheriff or not, but did. He recommended what I was already thinking. Dead dogs tell no tails.
That's crazy enough. Gotta be something wrong with the dog.

And the law found the owner, and they are mad at me. Coulda guessed that.

@Bigfoot did you have the dog checked for rabies?

Isn't there some kind of legal consequences for the owner of the dog that came on your property and attacked you. @sstterry

I know your not the type to say it but I would ask the dogs owners if they would like some of the same right after I got done with the lawsuit.
The deputy was going to tell them, I asked to be the one to tell them. They didn't handle it well, and wanted the carcass. I ablidged and took it to them.

Isn't there some kind of legal consequences for the owner of the dog that came on your property and attacked you. @sstterry
Naw, I never had it checked. I'm not seeking any consequences, it was just a very unfortunate incident. I'm 99% sure they don't believe the story. That's ok with me. I was honestly afraid. This ordeal went on for 20 minutes. Maybe 30.

It depends on the Leash Laws that KY has. I have never seen a statewide leash law (that is not to say there isn't one there). But down here almost all cities and counties have one.

Edit: I had to come back and add that in some states, including TN, there is the one-bite rule. If the dog has never bitten anyone, then there is no liability unless you are on notice of the dog's dangerous propensities. If they have bitten someone in the past, then the owner is definitely responsible.

Latest posts