Crazy Morning final update

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
So we have this cow, she's trying to calve. Only it's not happening. We assume the calf is dead cause no reaction when you pinch the hoof. Calf sack breaks while checking her out, only to find the head back. Call the vet, get her out of bed, and take the cow in. The vet gives an epidural, and some thing to dialate the cow even more. By the time the cow has worked the cervix, she has both arms in up to her shoulders. Twists the head into normal and pulls the calf. The calf is alive. The vet works the calf for a bit. Calf will need some anafin for a few days and probably tube fed cause the neck muscles are swollen and the neck is twisted back. Vet figures about 2-3 days for the calf to get the head back to normal. Eyes are alert and breathing on its own.
Now we have to milk the cow and tube the calf if it will not suck the bottle. This could be a long day

But you have a live calf! When it comes time to sell it there will be more value then a dead one at birth

The calf does not seem to be doing good. Milked the momma and she behaved herself while milking. I am thank ful for that. We tubed the calf and gave it two heat lamps. The body was cold. Hoping a little heat will help to relax the muscles as well. No teeth grinding and no bawling, so that is a good sign.
It is amazing what drugs vets have available. Thanks to them she was able to get the calf out with minimal damage to the cow and the vets says the cow should have no problems breeding back. The consensus from the vet was, the calf was unable to turn completely around like it was suppose to (dang i just realized that i do not know what "it" is), so the head was caught beneath the hip bone..i think. Any ways it could not completely turn.
This is a good cow, breeds back on time, raises a nice calf every year with very little problems. We are glad she should be OK.
If her calf does not make it, and we hope it does, we have a twin that will work nicely...that is another story for another thread.

I agree with dun, a live calf is worth more than a dead one. Hopefully this one will make it.

Doesn't sound like a fun time.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Katherine

Oh I hate it when they do not have that sucking reflex it is such an uphill battle..Hopefully your little one will be better once it warms up..I hope it all works out..

Sometimes, when a calf is malpresented its because the calf was too weak to help position itself. This may be the case here. You should know in a couple days for sure, if the calf remains weak and cold despite the tube feedings.

Well we took care of the calf, and we are trying to graft a twin onto the mother. The twisted calf just never un twisted itself even with an anti inflamatory and some muscle massage. The last tubing did not seem to digest in the calf and the calf started pooping red poop. Top that off to the cow wanting to try and jump start the calf and we think dislocated the front knee joint.
I know this is awful to say, but sometimes i wish calves like this were born DOA. I know some can be saved but others can not. Maybe it is cause i am a little jaded or maybe it is cause i can see the $ going out the back end. Don't get me wrong here, I am glad we took the cow to the vet. She should be able to produce a calf next year since she is a good momma.
I did tell her that if she did not take the twin and raise it, as Co CEO of the farm, I would fire her. :D :eek:

Well, a final update. The mother accepted the twin. We named the twin Hope, because of the way she was born. Thought on naming her Lazarus, but since it was a girl...
It took a few days, but now the calf is not afraid of her and the momma has decided to give up the kicking urge. They are soon ready for the cow calf area.

Now if the dang storms would pass...thankfully the ladies have sucked it up and the sun should shine tomorrow. 2" of rain on Sunday,
6" of snow yesterday, and near 6" today, both days blowing winds.

rockridgecattle":2ceng5ih said:
So we have this cow, she's trying to calve. Only it's not happening. We assume the calf is dead cause no reaction when you pinch the hoof. Calf sack breaks while checking her out, only to find the head back. Call the vet, get her out of bed, and take the cow in. The vet gives an epidural, and some thing to dialate the cow even more. By the time the cow has worked the cervix, she has both arms in up to her shoulders. Twists the head into normal and pulls the calf. The calf is alive. The vet works the calf for a bit. Calf will need some anafin for a few days and probably tube fed cause the neck muscles are swollen and the neck is twisted back. Vet figures about 2-3 days for the calf to get the head back to normal. Eyes are alert and breathing on its own.
Now we have to milk the cow and tube the calf if it will not suck the bottle. This could be a long day

You did good. Same thing happened to a neighbour, except no vet in our area...which equals...6 hours of neighbourly help (very worn-our shoulders), trying to get calf out...hacking calf legs off at knees with hacksaw..to make room (already dead)...breaking calf's lower jaw trying to pull head forwarded. In the end, heifer got two .22 shells for her time. I would trade you in a heartbeat. :cowboy:

Sorry to hear about the rough one Aaron, I hope it gets better for you and your neighbor. If there is a vet in the not far vicinty, give them a call. Maybe they would be willing to sell some of the drugs they use to open the cervix and the pelvic area. Hubby says it was amazing to see how open the cow was after these drugs. I know one thing the one drug is given in the tail between the vertbrae. It has to be a clean brand new needle, and syringe.

Drugs are the big thing. We can perform a C-section ourselves, we just need the drugs. Drugs to help dialate that heifer would have probably saved her. There wasn't much of an opening to work with. Thing is, you can't get some of those drugs without a vet being present to administer them. Oh well. You just keep plugging away at them. :cowboy:

Latest posts