Crazy Insurance deal

Help Support CattleToday:

Chocolate Cow

Reaction score
I've been a State Farm customer forever. 10 years ago a neighbor caused a fire on a day we had 60mph winds. I lost all my winter hay supply. In a false sense of security I didn't panic because I had insurance-wrong-I did not because according to my State Farm agent, I didn't have "Hay in the open" listed. I had some sort of blanket farm policy that apparently offered little or no coverage but required a hefty yearly premium to maintain the Agents lifestyle. (hindsight observation)
3 years ago I had a windmill refurbished. Top to bottom deal. Expensive, but I had water. About a week later a tornado laid it all on the ground. I called State Farm. :lol2: No coverage because I didn't have "Schedule C" on my policy. I made an appointment with the Agent to discuss what was lacking. All I got out of him was I didn't have enough insurance. You betcha. I want more of something that does nothing for me.
Fast forward--It's been bothering me that I don't have insurance on nearly 2 years worth of stored hay for my cattle. I went back to State Farm because there is a new guy who has bought out the old agent. I filled out all the questions. They took my check and issued me a copy of my policy. Four days later, they call to tell me the Head office has refused my policy because I dropped my original 3 years ago and never got coverage anywhere else. State Farm will not insure my stored hay. I also have to wait for the main office to refund my premium because my check was deposited by the local agent. :bang:

Seems like it's past time to shop around for another company.

There is a reason they have big nice buildings and lots of employees. Their first and second line of defense is to figure out why they do not need to pay.. Then they pay...

img_sfus_careers_bloomington_pic9.jpg

Chocolate Cow":38of4j74 said:
I've been a State Farm customer forever. 10 years ago a neighbor caused a fire on a day we had 60mph winds. I lost all my winter hay supply. In a false sense of security I didn't panic because I had insurance-wrong-I did not because according to my State Farm agent, I didn't have "Hay in the open" listed. I had some sort of blanket farm policy that apparently offered little or no coverage but required a hefty yearly premium to maintain the Agents lifestyle. (hindsight observation)
3 years ago I had a windmill refurbished. Top to bottom deal. Expensive, but I had water. About a week later a tornado laid it all on the ground. I called State Farm. :lol2: No coverage because I didn't have "Schedule C" on my policy. I made an appointment with the Agent to discuss what was lacking. All I got out of him was I didn't have enough insurance. You betcha. I want more of something that does nothing for me.
Fast forward--It's been bothering me that I don't have insurance on nearly 2 years worth of stored hay for my cattle. I went back to State Farm because there is a new guy who has bought out the old agent. I filled out all the questions. They took my check and issued me a copy of my policy. Four days later, they call to tell me the Head office has refused my policy because I dropped my original 3 years ago and never got coverage anywhere else. State Farm will not insure my stored hay. I also have to wait for the main office to refund my premium because my check was deposited by the local agent. :bang:

My farm policy is with State Farm. If your policy is not specific to what you want or expect to be covered, I have found that it is not. Even the coverage for livestock has so many exceptions, it is almost worthless. For example, I lost my first heifer that had a young calf to bloat. Bloat is not covered. After discussions with the agent, all that was covered was lightning and acts of vandalism.

I still have my policy with them but I now know what is covered and what is not. Or at least, I think I do.

The new agent said State Farm went to "Schedules" years ago but the old agent didn't inform his customers of the change. Lots of people in the area thought they had coverage and found out the expensive way they didn't. You're right, BrightRaven, Policy has to be very specific. I wanted to buy a policy for the semi when we hauled my cattle to pasture and back but it was completely unaffordable. I tried to tell the agent the entire herd was not loaded in that one truck. If there was a wreck, it would be just one load and it was all over. What a racket.
I know, it's time to move somewhere else. It's a hard thing to do when you've been in one place so long.
Where do I look? Farm Bureau? American Family?
HDRider-that is a 'for real' picture of State Farm corporate? holy cow.

i'd call an agent who has multiple companies they deal with.

going to a big agency.. progressive, state farm, all state.. etc.. you're literally paying a premium and getting screwed on your coverage / protection.

All insurance companies are crooks. That's the way they make money.

My dad just got done sueing his insurance company... HIS INSURANCE CO... because they did not want to pay after an auto accident. They attempted to paint him a liar and horrible person in court. How's that for customer loyalty.

If you ever think an insurance co is not treating you fair talk to an attorney.

We also have State Farm and our stock tank wasn't wasn't on a schedule when it got trashed by a tornado last Oct. That was an expensive lesson learned. Not sure about other insurance companies but they wouldn't accept the appraisals I had for the jewelry rider because they were over 10 years old. We've moved so much it's not like I can just go back to the original jewelers so I had to pay a ridiculous amount to have all new appraisals. Shockingly, they did pay for my truck when the warranty wouldn't cover a contaminated fuel situation. That said, the ranch policy/rider is reasonable and every time I walk into the Agent's office for a non-profit donation he willingly pulls out his checkbook. Is anybody really happy with their insurance? Or lack thereof ;-)

TCRanch":1jrjrl3e said:
We also have State Farm and our stock tank wasn't wasn't on a schedule when it got trashed by a tornado last Oct. That was an expensive lesson learned. Not sure about other insurance companies but they wouldn't accept the appraisals I had for the jewelry rider because they were over 10 years old. We've moved so much it's not like I can just go back to the original jewelers so I had to pay a ridiculous amount to have all new appraisals. Shockingly, they did pay for my truck when the warranty wouldn't cover a contaminated fuel situation. That said, the ranch policy/rider is reasonable and every time I walk into the Agent's office for a non-profit donation he willingly pulls out his checkbook. Is anybody really happy with their insurance? Or lack thereof ;-)
Once we dumped farm bureau we got happy with our insurance company/coverage/agent. But this is a small town and probably only had 100 or so insurance agents in it

I had to deal with State Farm one time when a person hit me. The guy was rude as ever. I ended up asking him... When you go home and your kids ask what do you do at work daddy?Do you tell them you screw good people out of money they deserve to make your company rich? Does your son give you a big hug and say he wants to be just like you when he grows up? .... He hung up on me. A lady called me back the next day. She told me up front she didn't have any kids. :lol:

I would like to think that guy quit that day and found a job where he is making a difference in the world. :)

Brute 23":i90o7kwh said:
I had to deal with State Farm one time when a person hit me. The guy was rude as ever. I ended up asking him... When you go home and your kids ask what do you do at work daddy?Do you tell them you screw good people out of money they deserve to make your company rich? Does your son give you a big hug and say he wants to be just like you when he grows up? .... He hung up on me. A lady called me back the next day. She told me up front she didn't have any kids. :lol:

I would like to think that guy quit that day and found a job where he is making a difference in the world. :)

He did, works for me now in the mortgage business.

dun":kzt73fkq said:
TCRanch":kzt73fkq said:
Once we dumped farm bureau we got happy with our insurance company/coverage/agent. But this is a small town and probably only had 100 or so insurance agents in it
BTW I meant stock trailer :oops: You're big time! We have 32 agents listed in the county.

A good insurance agent is what everyone needs, and it's dang near impossible to find one. Our good one retired and we've been through two new agents and it'll be a third shortly. We pay a lot in insurance yearly and I expect the agent to come out and walk them through what I want and them to tell me what my needs are. One Farm Bureau agent is afraid to step on another agents toes, but I think we've finally got past that. It pays to know and be a GCA member.

Brute 23":15bfnxls said:

My dad just got done sueing his insurance company... HIS INSURANCE CO... because they did not want to pay after an auto accident. They attempted to paint him a liar and horrible person in court. How's that for customer loyalty.

If your statement is true, then isn't it true that any enterprise that makes a profit are crooks? Whether it's a carpenter, flat worker, iron worker, banker, barber, bar keeper, farmer.....

True Grit Farms":1l9mk7t1 said:
A good insurance agent is what everyone needs, and it's dang near impossible to find one. Our good one retired and we've been through two new agents and it'll be a third shortly. We pay a lot in insurance yearly and I expect the agent to come out and walk them through what I want and them to tell me what my needs are. One Farm Bureau agent is afraid to step on another agents toes, but I think we've finally got past that. It pays to know and be a GCA member.
Garden Club of America?

D2Cat":3pmskkye said:
Brute 23":3pmskkye said:

If your statement is true, then isn't it true that any enterprise that makes a profit are crooks? Whether it's a carpenter, flat worker, iron worker, banker, barber, bar keeper, farmer.....

No. They make their money by deceiving people and backing out on their end of the deal. They take advantage of the fact that most people won't hire a lawyer and don't know their actual rights. They also deceive people on what the coverage actually covers.

If you are a carpenter and I ask you how much it costs to build a table. You tell me $500. I say ok. You build the table, I like the table, we exchange the money for the product. If you get rich building those tables there is nothing wrong with that.

no.

Latest posts