Crazy hiefer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

J Henry

Reaction score
Bought my first calf at the sale barn last Friday she came through by her self because she was lightweight she seemed calm in the sale barn but when we got her home she went nuts she is around 4.5 months we figure they said she was weaned but if she was it want very long she is about 270# Angus we have her in a smaller corral I started her on sweet feed and range cubes. Put her water and feed bunk along the fence she is eating but can't get 10 foot from her and she starts running into the corner and goes wild. I've watcher from far away and she paces back and forth. I stand in the corral with her when I feed her for about 30min but she went eat tell I leave. We tried putting a 1yo hiefer with her but the bigger one head butts her and bully's her so we kicked her out. She isn't bawling but just want settle down. Just going to take more time with her and see if she starts to settle down.

Talk to her in a low soothing tone whenever you are in her area. It is amazing how they calm down when they get past the fear of the unknown.

There is yearling girders on the other side of the fence and I try to spend 10 to 30min each time I feed her. She was alot calmer today when I fed her she want walking as fast back and forth on the fence I think she is slowly settling in.

270# is light for 4.5 months so I might guess she is either younger and recently weaned or maybe her momma died and that's why she is weaned. Regardless. Being by herself is part of the problem as she has been taken from what she is familiar with, run through a stockyard, put on another truck/trailer, put into a strange place and has no one to keep her company. Then there is a strange person invading her new space!!! LOL.
Really, it's only been a couple of days. I think that maybe finding another one of the same general size or a little bigger would help just for the company...cattle are herd animals. Do as the other posters have advised; talk quietly in a non threatening voice, don't crowd her and just give her some time.

When we get up calves to wean, if there is a turd in the bunch, they go. They stir up trouble, incite stampedes, and we don't add them to the herd. SO, when you're buying at a sale barn, you sometimes get a booger who didn't make the cut.... We've found that most times they never calm down. We've had really nice heifers we hoped would, but we end up selling anyway because they didn't..

Never forget the road to the sale barn runs both ways!

But give her some time. Pretty young to be on her own like that. I'd bet her mama sold at the same sale and she wasn't weaned until they sorted them.

This isn't that irregular. Most cows that I buy at the sale barn take several days to settle in.

Heck, the most expensive females I ever bought took a full six month to really join the rest of the herd.

Latest posts