Crazy Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungBlood

Reaction score
So this is more story time than it is anyhting else, however this particular heifer is going back to market with the rest of the rejects on wednesday. So here is the deal I picked up three non exposed heifers at a local sale, got these three home and notice right off the bat that one of them was extremely squirrely. Got her there in the pins and she seemed to calm down substantialy. Today I get out there to finish setting posts in the ground and she acts much like a spirited horse. Prancing pawing full blown runs to dead stops before fences, testing fences, and the like. On one of these events my father had to have his arms inside the pens and she charged (which should have been expected seeing as how she had been sizing us up the entire time we were there and seemed to have more courage while our back were turned) She charged dad stands up throws hands in the air yells and drives the heifer back off the fence. Things looked good then she turned from the other side of the pens dead run and attempts to jump the fence. It was at this moment that I understood why they are called fence busters, and how much damage a cow can do. With that long winded story said, I am selling the heifer, is this a bad Idea or should I keep her and wait.

YoungBlood

Sell her before she hurts someone or wrecks the place.

That is one of the problems about picking up cattle at an auction yard. Their is usually a good reason they are there- and that reason is usually something bad. Unless it is a dispersion sale or from someone you know, more often than not you end up with someones now ex-problem.

Also experience is a good teacher- bet you are a little more cautious next time.

Send her out on Wednesday with the others.
She is going to be nothing but a problem for
you if you keep her.

Oldtimer":14goszww said:

That is one of the problems about picking up cattle at an auction yard. Their is usually a good reason they are there- and that reason is usually something bad. Unless it is a dispersion sale or from someone you know, more often than not you end up with someones now ex-problem.

Also experience is a good teacher- bet you are a little more cautious next time.

Amen Oldtimer! Couldn't have said it better myself!! Those kind of heifers (bulls, or cows) make excellent Alpo! Amazing how you can tame those "rejects" down by grinding them up and putting them in a can...

You know....its funny with salebarns. Whenever there is a pen of two or more at least one of them is cuckoo....why don't they ever separate the nutty ones from the good ones.. They end up being separated when they are being auctioned... Save the hassle if they did it in the sorting pens. Don't let these guys discourage you about the salebarn..half of it is a myth anyways. There are fine (even better) looking cattle than registered or cattle from private treaty... You'll get a nutty one at any place you go to....salebarn, private ranchers, or sales...etc etc.... There are dishonest people in all fields of business regardless the type of business it is. Salebarns are not entirely a place to sell junk..there are good "junk" at salebarn.. These people who goes to salebarn to sell or buy are either old, very young, inexperienced, or simply commerical ranchers. These people are trying to make a living and willing to divert you with half-lies and all... Just do what you know best...
Yes, for God's sake, get rid of the heifer.....been there done that... Nearly got killed by one heifer (and she was homegrown!).
Goodluck!

Oregonian":19akpt2z said:
You know....its funny with salebarns. Whenever there is a pen of two or more at least one of them is cuckoo....why don't they ever separate the nutty ones from the good ones.. They end up being separated when they are being auctioned... Save the hassle if they did it in the sorting pens. Don't let these guys discourage you about the salebarn..half of it is a myth anyways. There are fine (even better) looking cattle than registered or cattle from private treaty... You'll get a nutty one at any place you go to....salebarn, private ranchers, or sales...etc etc.... There are dishonest people in all fields of business regardless the type of business it is. Salebarns are not entirely a place to sell junk..there are good "junk" at salebarn.. These people who goes to salebarn to sell or buy are either old, very young, inexperienced, or simply commerical ranchers. These people are trying to make a living and willing to divert you with half-lies and all... Just do what you know best...
Yes, for God's sake, get rid of the heifer.....been there done that... Nearly got killed by one heifer (and she was homegrown!).
Goodluck!

Oregonian
Jesus loves you...but everyone else thinks you are an ass.

Oldtimer":bc2c8e7a said:

Good advice sell her or inoculate with a 44 before she hurts some one or gets out on the highway and kills a family. Some of you will never learn cows are hauled to the sell barn for a reason, fighter, bad mom, won't pen. Read the boards ranchers haul their culls to the sale barn. Looking good and being good are two different things. I have hauled many a young herd bull to the barn because of dispositon, conformation wasn,t right. It all go's back to the old saying one man's trash is anothers treasure.

A few years ago I picked up the lovliest, calmest limo heifer I had ever seen. Walked around her in the pen, she just stood there and could have cared less. By the time I got her home she climbed an 8 foot corral and disappeared for a couple of weeks. Finally found her living way back away from the other cows. To make a long story short-it took 6 tranqualizer darts to get her slowed down enough to get her in the trailer. In the 15 minutes to the sale barn she nearly destroyed the trailer. At the sale she climbed almost all the way over the wall and into the auctioneers lap. The funny part was we made almost 100 bucks on her even after the cost of the darts and commision. She sure didn't eat 100 bucks worth of grass. But she did use up a couple 100 worth of frustration. We just referred to her as CB.

dun

French

dun

CattleAnnie":1whtpc55 said:
Dun's message
note the words : limo heifer

(shudder)
What in sam hill is it about that breed that has such absolute wingnuts for females?

Oldtimer":td35hhsr said:

Now hold on before you tear the auction barns down to much. There is a big difference between loads of a cattle and a bunch of two and three. I sell 300 head of cattle every year at a sale barn and they'll bring just as much or more than you'll get selling out of your yard. I guess the backyard farmers are the ones to worry about.

Ace does not always work though. And if it does, it can wear off on the worst of animals rather fast. Had a show heifer last year that whacked me in the front of the knee right before the show, then gave her a shot of ace, and as soon as the show was over, I was walking away after feeding her and she got me in the back of the same leg. Dropped me straight to the ground. I still have her because it was just that one time that she went crazy, and without a halter she is fine. I am going to wait until she calves to see if an episode like that comes back.
People need to realize that even if you pay $2 or $3,000 for a cow she can have a bad disposition and could hurt someone or destroy something. I have had to cull numerous top dollar cows because of disposition. Even though I am just 23, I can say that I have been run up enough fences and thrown around by plenty of cows to know when to send one down the road.

barns aren't all that horrible, but working in one during the summer helps to be able to pick out that slightest thing while working them or watching somebody else do it.

Update on the crazy Heifer, we are getting ready to haul her to auction tomorrow. Yesterday she seemed fine in the pen, still nervous but more interested in joining up with the main herd , no longer challenging. Did she just need a chance to settle down from the replacement auction or will this type of behavior return later on when we least expect it ?

no don't let her fool you. You'll turn her out in the pasture and she'll stay for a while but the first time you try to bring her into the pen she'll end up in the next township! Load her up and get her gone.

Tman":tgrtpm6i said:
Update on the crazy Heifer, we are getting ready to haul her to auction tomorrow. Yesterday she seemed fine in the pen, still nervous but more interested in joining up with the main herd , no longer challenging. Did she just need a chance to settle down from the replacement auction or will this type of behavior return later on when we least expect it ?

Tman,
Its in her genes.......she is nuts and will always be a nut. She will pass the crazy genes to her offspring...wouldn't want to handle two nutcases would you? Load her up before she kills someone. Be sure to pen her up TODAY, load her tomorrow. Docile cattle can be loaded on the same day as sale but nutty ones is a bit of a challenge.... Goodluck!

Latest posts