crazy electrical sh.....

Help Support CattleToday:

IR Thermometer is a great idea. A loose connection in AC will be getting warm. They are expensive. See if there are any places around you that can loan you one. Or just get an iPhone5 and buy the IR camera that snaps on it. That's what I'd like to have.

Let me ask you guys this. The house and the shop are on same meter .directly under meter, is box with main breaker to house. 2 120 breakers to shop and 240 shop. So I can shut down each separately . Either way the condition still exist. DOES THIS tell us the problem is at the pole? (Breaker box; meter, transformer)
I tried to shoot a video this morning with my loaner phone.
It was before daylight and you could see arcing going up the metal conduit between breaker box and meter. As soon as i pour water on ground rod it stops.
I dont hire much out, but im telling you guys the connections i can access look good.
If it happens again tonight and I bet it does. I'll do the checks with dvm.
I think I need to get somebody back out. Coop or electrician.
The co-op guy will be the same guy thats been out twice.
The info y'all are giving me may at least help me convince or even help him.

I greatly appreciate it and welcome any advice on dealing with the co-op
Sincerely fenceman

fenceman":34idj67f said:
When it rains it pours. My phone died last night Im using a temp. Right now
new is being sent overnight. Im wanting to get some pics up maybe by morning.
4x4 much of what you said is making a lot of sense. Thank you
also what lavaca said is true the 240 stuff seems uneffected. Except the dryer.?

The dryer uses 110V for controls and probably the motor. Heating element is 220V.

I didn't have time to read all the posts so this might be covered but it sounds like it could be your netural on the pole. My mamas house has had the netural chewed into twice. Causes all sorts of things to happen.
Took a while to find it the first time.

you could see arcing going up the metal conduit between breaker box and meter. As soon as i pour water on ground rod it stops.

Sounds to me that your ground is working just fine and doing exactly what its supposed to do. If it were mine I would be inspecting the panel and connections, still sounds like it could be an issue on the neutral buss, but I wouldn't rule out a hot wire fault somewhere either.

Skip the co-op, get an electrician out there. A good one with experience at troubleshooting.
There is a process to troubleshooting anything, and if you skip over the first steps because you figure that just cant be it, you're already screwed because that is invariable where the problem is gonna be. :2cents:

there's a lot of people out there that are great at their jobs, but can't troubleshoot their way out of a wet paper bag.

CottageFarm":1x8eyrz4 said:
Skip the co-op, get an electrician out there.

I approve this message. I've delt with a few co-op guys trying to trouble shoot secondary voltages. I don't get it. One the electrons hit the transformer, they become dumber than a bag of hammers. Call around and get a few quotes for an electrician. Ask them what it would cost for them to come out for an hour. If they can't figure it out in an hour, they got issues. Then once they figure out the problem, they can tell you how long it will take to fix it and how much it will cost. If you are on a budget, I'd do it that way. If you aren't on a budget, just call one and tell them to get out here and fix this arcin' SOB because you don't want your house and shop burned to the ground. No pun intended. LOL

I think if the lights flicker it's a bad connection. If they surge up and down its a neutral problem
A buddy of mine says he worked an ice storm in KC once and lots of housing had things done as Dun described. When the poles fell instead of the wires pulling free from the meter loop it pulled all the wire from the house short! ;/. What a mess!

Arching on conduit between meter and breaker, shows bad connection between top of breaker to transf. You have not said where the meter loop is, is it a meter pole or is loop on the transf. pole.
By looking at a connection, you can tell if it is good or bad, you can not troubleshoot without having a volt meter and checking voltage. From experience you have to ask for a supervisor at the coop and ask for a different employee to come out, if they are mis-diagnosing the problem, the coop is liable for any damages to your equipment.
Also if their is arching at meter, it is a safety hazard and a death trap, anyone or animal touching loop will be electrocuted. You need to take action and find the problem.
It is a OSHA violation for any coop employee to touch a meter base or check voltage without rubber gloves, it is a serious situation you are dealing with.

Exact same thing happened at my mothers home a couple days ago after a bad storm. The lights got really bright and several things in her home was ruined. The problem was the neutral wire hookup at the transformer had gotten blown loose by the lightning.

Don't get between a open neutral and a ground...it can be summarized here. :lol2:

$_35.JPG

I have this printed out and it has been hanging on my office door for a few years.

4x4dually":ypbx0li8 said:
Don't get between a open neutral and a ground...it can be summarized here. :lol2:

http:molassesg.com/00/s/OTc2WDEyNzA=/z/GQsAAMXQlgtS4A5R/$_35.JPG[/imgrubber have this printed out and it has been hanging on my office door for a few years.[/quote]

Don't worry my friend I ain't about to get fried. Although you might a gotta laugh out of me sitting on a plastic molassas tub sitting on a old mud flap wearing rubber boots and rubber gloves. :cboy:
I'm caught in this twilight zone wear the co-op says it ain't their baby and the electrician says it is.
im going fishing this weekend. Hopefully its still here when i get back.
believe it or not I know a guy. A electronics engineer with a few cows. :nod:
I going to see him monday. When he talks to me he might as well be talking to the cows. But he's a great guy. I'll probably have to buy some hay I dont need, but it'll be good.
Btw. No problems in past 24 hours. Of course thats part of the problem.

I sincerely appreciate your time on this. I'll let you know when we get it worked out

Im betting its at the transformer
everything else h.
as been checked by multiple people

I'm not even going to try to fix that above.
Still on the purple phone. :bang:

jedstivers":2ai4pvbs said:
I'm still saying a bad neutral.
Me too. I lost a neutral on a lighting circuit in an older house and the 40w bulbs illuminated, but just barely. Voltage check showed around 80 volts hot side to neutral. Got up in the attic, and found the old woven cloth insulated wire--rat had chewed all the insulation off and the neutral wire shorted against the hot side. Neutral was open.

Named'em Tamed'em":67lxtssa said:
Around here I am required to install a UFFER rod in the footings . This is a stick of #4 bar tied into the footing steel to use as a ground rod.
I had to look that term up.

History[edit]
During World War II, the U.S. Army required a grounding system for bomb storage vaults near Tucson and Flagstaff, Arizona. Conventional grounding systems did not work well in this location since the desert terrain had no water table and very little rainfall. The extremely dry soil conditions would have required hundreds of feet of copper rods to be inserted into the ground in order to create a low enough impedance ground to protect the buildings from lightning strikes.
In 1942, Herbert G. Ufer was a consultant working for the U.S. Army. Ufer was given the task of finding a lower cost and more practical alternative to traditional copper rod grounds for these dry locations. Ufer discovered that concrete had better conductivity than most types of soil. Ufer then developed a grounding scheme based on encasing the grounding conductors in concrete. This method proved to be very effective, and was implemented throughout the Arizona test site.
After the war, Ufer continued to test his grounding method, and his results were published in a paper presented at the IEEE Western Appliance Technical Conference in 1963.[1] The use of concrete enclosed grounding conductors was added to the U.S. National Electrical Code (NEC) in 1968. It was not required to be used if a water pipe or other grounding electrode was present. In 1978, the NEC required rebar to be used as a grounding electrode if present. The NEC refers to this type of ground as a "Concrete Encased Electrode" (CEE) instead of using the name Ufer ground.
Over the years, the term "Ufer Ground" has become synonymous with the use of any type of concrete enclosed grounding conductor, whether it conforms to Ufer's original grounding scheme or not

UFER rods been required for about 2 years around here. There needs to be 2 at least 20ft apart so the electrical (L&I) inspector can test them.

Just one more thing to remember, but $10 material and 5 minutes labor = a $100 bill. So I'm in.

fenceman":2f3q3ui5 said:
believe it or not I know a guy. A electronics engineer with a few cows. :nod:

Sweet. Another engineer with cow crap under his desk. If there are ever muddy tracks in the hallway guess who gets blamed first around here? LOL
I work here. www.fescorp.com My group designs radar distribution equipment for the US and Foreign Navies (the Naval Systems tab).

Named'em Tamed'em":2f3q3ui5 said:
Around here I am required to install a UFFER rod in the footings . This is a stick of #4 bar tied into the footing steel to use as a ground rod.

I guess a person is never too old to learn something. I've never seen that before. I had to read the wiki as well.

On a side note.......speakin' of getting shocked to death.....so the kids pool filter system got turned off since the Husky pup ate the GFI of the end of the cord and the pool got nasty. I finally got it back to clean yesterday but not without being fried to hell by the sun on all sides. I needed a way to vacuum the bottom of the pool. My creative juices started flowing and this is what I came up with. A fountain pump from Lowes; an old washing machine drain tube; and a tube and brush from the wife's house vacuum. Attached a garden hose to the outlet and scrubbed the bottom of the pool while it dumped the junk outside on the grass. It was a little un-nerving to be swimming around carrying an electric pump in the water. Worked great, but not a fan of swimming with electricity. LOL

IMG_5229_zpsh47z8w5t.jpg

[/sidenote]

Latest posts