Crazy Calve

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have just gotten a black anus heiffer calve that weighs about 450lbs., and this calve is just crazy. i let it off trailer and it goes after anyone that moves. any one have any ideals on how to calm her down. I have locked her in my holding pen, as i'm afraid she will bust fence. and just hopes she calms down after she learns who feeds her. any one with ideals, please help. please email me direct. jim

[email protected]

Do you have any other cattle around to put her in a pen with? She is likely very nervous and not use to be handle that closely with human interaction before. I suggest putting her in with a quiet heifer or cow for a month or so to calm her down.

> I have just gotten a black anus
> heiffer calve that weighs about
> 450lbs., and this calve is just
> crazy. i let it off trailer and it
> goes after anyone that moves. any
> one have any ideals on how to calm
> her down. I have locked her in my
> holding pen, as i'm afraid she
> will bust fence. and just hopes
> she calms down after she learns
> who feeds her. any one with
> ideals, please help. please email
> me direct. jim

I had a steer like that and was so crazy we just had to sell him. That may be your only choice, just give her a couple of weeks to a month. Also another idea idae I had to use on one of my heifers is give her a nose ring and use a 2 inch wooden stake and if she tries to get you hit her across the forehead a couple of times and she will get the picture. If you use a permenant nose ring when you get through showing her you can turn it aroud and cut it out with bolt cutters.

[email protected]

Jim, First, the heifer is scared, probably fist time away from mom or herdmates, and she probably never had people close to her. I would contact the breeder & let them know immediately how she is acting. Work with her about a month. If no improvement, a reputable breeder will replace her with a calmer one. Putting another animal with her will help calm her down, but will not help you to get "bonded" with her. Be sure to hand feed her am/pm, going into her pen - don't feed over the fence/pen. Doesn't teach her anything if you do not get in with her. Carry a cane if you need to. After she calms down (if she calms down), get a rope halter on her. Just having a halter on is not doing anything to help train her. Dragging a rope halter will teach her to stop when she feels pressure on the end of the halter (when she steps on it). Some cattle NEVER calm down, that's when you hope you purchased her from a reputable breeder. If you purchased her out of a local stock sale, you're on your own. Jeanne

> I have just gotten a black anus
> heiffer calve that weighs about
> 450lbs., and this calve is just
> crazy. i let it off trailer and it
> goes after anyone that moves. any
> one have any ideals on how to calm
> her down. I have locked her in my
> holding pen, as i'm afraid she
> will bust fence. and just hopes
> she calms down after she learns
> who feeds her. any one with
> ideals, please help. please email