Crazy bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a first for me, today when I went to check on the cows I noticed the bull standing off looking like he was smelling a heifer calf. After closer inspection he was sucking her. Her calf has been pull from her about 2 months now. I laid s whip on his butt and broke up the party. I separated her into another pasture. Is this common or do I need to get rid of him? He is a full blood black angus. A pretty bull. This is not going to continue on my watch.

Had one. Took awhile to catch him in the act. Don't presume it's isolated to one cow. Pull and ship him ASAP.
Based on my research, its definitely not common.

Caught him again with another cow. I really hate this because I just bought him at 19 months and weighing about a 1000+ pounds. I sold my other bull because of inbreeding and bought him from a local farm near me. He has all my cows bred I think. Hate to see him go but must do what I have to do.

Tomcolvin":14gcaf27 said:
Caught him again with another cow. I really hate this because I just bought him at 19 months and weighing about a 1000+ pounds. I sold my other bull because of inbreeding and bought him from a local farm near me. He has all my cows bred I think. Hate to see him go but must do what I have to do.

It would be a bigger problem if he was in the midst of starting to breed cows and thought it better to be a calf than a bull, resulting in a pile of opens. Count your blessings they are bred and send him on his way.

Tomcolvin":2jyhyzug said:
Is there anyway to break from this? Maybe put him buy his self for a while?
If you do that he'll probably need a buddy or he'll get bored & either trash the place or start jumping & wandering. And give him a nose ring. He's still young. You can try it but odds aren't in your favor, especially after busting him on another cow. It sucks to ship a nice young bull but you absolutely can't have that kind of behavior.

Tomcolvin":1d23w4p8 said:

Strike 2 he's out.

Caught him again with another cow.
I'm not surprised. Trust me, he'll suck any cow that permits it. My cow sucker was was used two seasons to breed calved 1st calf heifers e.g. naive girlS. He was very clever...waited until the calf was alongside its dam and then crept up and sucked hind tit. I suspected it but due to the circumstances could never catch in the act. When I did, I immediately shipped him. Advised the breeder & they credited my account minus his salvage price. Suffice it to say, he was amongst the sale toppers at their production sale so it was a huge disappointment for both of us.
I wouldn't bother to put a weaner ring/flap in his nose. No matter how much you'd like to keep him, I'm convinced its a hardwired and assuredly reprehensible behavior that will cause you, your cows and their subsequent calves unnecessary grief & hardship.

I had one a few years back that kept catching a tit when a calf was sucking. Kept him up in the bull lot for a year and went right back to stealing milk when I turned him back out the next year. He went into the freezer

I've had well weaned yearling heifers go back to nursing, shipped them right then and there..yeah, you can break the habit on some of them, especially with less confined space, but it wasn't worth the hassle.
I would have loved to keep my orphan steer calf from last year to grow out, but he'd learned to steal milk so well I figured he'd be hard to break of that habit.. it sure does suck (literally)

Latest posts