Crazy Angus and Hereford Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm22":1185y4m8 said:
BoJack Cattle":1185y4m8 said:
Interesting theory. That's like saying black people are hotter than white people. You do know Brangus cattle do very well down south.

At risk of getting banned, it HAS been my experience that little red people work a whole lot better in the South than do big Black people. I think that has more to do with culture and how they were raised than it does with genetics; but if we are going to go there...........
give em a few more years,, to get a firm toe hold

Once again....thanks to everyone. All of your input is very interesting. I thought that I had made a decision on what I wanted to do with my cows but now I'm not sure. I think that holding on to my best cows is a smart idea given todays market. I figure that I may be being a bit over reactive to just dump them all. With my small herd I can easily identify which mommas produce the best calves. If I get rid of the cows that are least productive I can flip the money back into buying better heifers/cows and continue on with this process. I have realized that genetically "big" cows may not necessarily be better and some of my cows are producing for me. But I think that I need to get a more consistant breeders. I am getting calves of all sizes and this may primarily be due to being new (buying cows here and there=probably someone elses culls for a reason) Once I can get some type of consistancy I will be better off. But this will take time, maybe lots of it and in the end I may be behind. But without being over reactive I can do a little at a time, all the while improving. If the market ever changes (and becomes a buyers market) I can then "over react" and dump them all if I want. So far I am happy with this years calves. Got a different bull and his calves are longer and do not have such short wheel base as my other calves have had. My next bull, I can work on some other problem. Keep what I like, dump what I do not like, and add some others to improve the herd. Sounds good to me. But ask me again tomorrow and I'll probably feel differently. One thing is for sure.....I have not had a problem selling anything that my cows have produced. I just want to get to the upper end of the weight spectrum at weaning time to kind of pad the stats if you will. Why sell a 500 lb calf when you can sell a 600 lb calf. As far as color is concerned, no one around here has ever had a black cow die due to heat (as far as I know). Its kind of a milder climate with few 90 degree days per year. Farmers that have had charolais have gotten rid of them for one reason or other. Mostly calving problems from what I can recall. Plus they just do not do well at sale time. This may not be true with them today but I'm not so sure that I want to gamble with them right now. I have taken all of your advice into consideration. Thanks again for everything.....And thanks again for confusing the hell out of me.....lol. EH

cow pollinater":z421xbu3 said:
Of course the easy way to do it is to buy bwf and mf cows and then throw a terminal or angus bull over them.
I've saved TONS of money in the past buying rwf cows and breeding them back angus. The calves are black with enough heterosis to grow well. The daughters make good cows if I keep them and I don't have to give a ton of money for black cows.

Yup. Herf or rwf cows with a black bull are money makers. Better cow for the money than blacks, and more maternal.

Brandonm22":1r8p4n0n said:
BoJack Cattle":1r8p4n0n said:
Interesting theory. That's like saying black people are hotter than white people. You do know Brangus cattle do very well down south.

At risk of getting banned, it HAS been my experience that little red people work a whole lot better in the South than do big Black people. I think that has more to do with culture and how they were raised than it does with genetics; but if we are going to go there...........
Hmmm. It's seems to me that the darker complected people evolved in the hottest climates, while the nordics, us white folk, originated in the colder climates. Seems almost contradictive to your proposal that lighter colored cows somehow "thrive" in warmer weather.

Latest posts