Crawfish season in Texas!

Help Support CattleToday:

cowchew

Reaction score
Wow, April and May are simply Crawfish crazy here in Texas. There is an invitation for a Crawfish "some-um some-um" here in Texas every weekend. I was wondering if this is true for any other states.

You know... parties, get-to-gethers, paloozas, events, soiree... :pretty:

bretsam":knp4eoia said:
Wow, April and May are simply Crawfish crazy here in Texas. There is an invitation for a Crawfish "some-um some-um" here in Texas every weekend. I was wondering if this is true for any other states.
No.

bretsam":22lv2m5c said:

Bret you must be down near the coast...or over in the rice land....ain't no crawfish out this way unless some cajun is sitting in the median on the interstate selling them out of the back of a pickup.

Yes, I am in the Houston area. People here are crawfish crazy right now. I do enjoyed them if they are prepared right. A nice crawfish boil is good with corn & potatoes and maybe a little sausage, but I prefer a Crawfish etoufee', served over rice. My ex-husband had a good recipe,(some of you may know him as "angusbrangus" or beefmasterb") . I don't know if he took it with him when he ran off, or not. :nod:

bretsam":nopwvc90 said:
Yes, I am in the Houston area. People here are crawfish crazy right now.
Crawfish crazy may just be part of the side effects of living down their. :lol:

Last big boil I cooked at we boiled 7 50# bags of crawfish. My thumbs were so sore. Made some crawfish boudin the other day. I really liked that.

Hey Jogeephus, I sure would like that crawfish boudin recipe, if it's not a family secret. :pretty: Thanks.

bretsam":1hagdspd said:
Hey Jogeephus, I sure would like that crawfish boudin recipe, if it's not a family secret. :pretty: Thanks.

Ok on one condtion. Would appreciate your feedback. Can't make it more better till I get feedback. Besides, this was a lot of typing but thank goodness for cut and paste. :nod:

Anyhow, here is how I make it and I hope you enjoy it.

Depending on the size crawfish you will probably need 10 lbs of raw crawfish to begin with. Boil in old bay seasoning and water till done. Let cool. Clean the tails and put them in a bowl until you have one pound of cleaned tails. If you run short, you can make up the difference with shrimp but see the note at the bottom on how to make the adjustment.

Recipe will make 2-3 lbs of sausage

4 tablespoons of butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon of chopped shallot (no big loss if you can't find this)
1 clove of garlic, minced up good
1/2 red or yellow pepper fire roasted and peeled then chopped up fine (if you can't buy this you can just
put pepper in the oven until you can peel the skin off it.
1.5 cups of cooked rice (cooled)
1/4 cup of heavy cream (don't go skimping with that half and half crop. Heavy means the good stuff)
1/2 cup of chopped green onions
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1 egg (ogranically and free range of course)
2 tablespoons of sherry
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
2 tsp of fresh tarrragon or 1/2 tsp dried
1 tablespoon of tomato paste (ketchup would be OK as this is mostly for color)
2 teaspoons of paprika (sweet hungarian if you got it)
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme or 1 tsp if you only have dried
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon of lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (sometimes called red pepper)
1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste

With medium heat melt butter in frying pan.
Add onions, shallots and garlic. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or vegetables are soft. Set aside to cool

In a food processor, put the crawfish in and hit the pulse button a couple of times. What you are wanting to do is chop it up coursely but not make a paste out of it. It should have texture. Could use a knife but processer is much faster.

In a bowl put the chopped pepper, cooked vegies, crawfish, rice and cream and mix. Once mixed add the rest of the ingredients and mix well but you may want to hold off on the egg till you taste it to be sure you have the right amount of salt and pepper. Once you like it, add egg and mix well. Egg is your binder.

Chill for 30 minutes in fridge.

Stuff in hog casings but do not twist or turn into links. Best to leave about 2 inches of unstuffed casing at each end so you can tie the ends off and don't stuff too tight cause the rice will swell.

I prefer to steam them from here but you can poach them as well but you will lose some flavor.

Shrimp Adjustment
If you run short on crawfish you can "make crawfish" with shrimp. Shrimp and crawfish are much alike but crawfish is fatty so you need to make up for the loss of fat. To do this, simply peel the shrimp and put the peelings in the frying pan along with a tablespoon or two of butter. On med high heat cook the peelings in the butter so the shrimp flavor will be infused in the butter. Once you feel you've got this done just pour the contents in a colander and press the mixture and the butter will run out into a container and mix this with the chopped shrimp.

This is the basis for my alligator gar boudin next time I get my hands on one. No more of the 2-3 lbs of sausages. I'm thinking 15 lbs and a keg of something cold.

A major grocery chain (HEB) in South Texas sell them live. Since they don't go well in a tortilla, most buy them for bait. :lol: :lol: How ever down near the coast ( Gulf Of Mexico ) they get pretty serious about them. They raise them and sell to vendors who set up their trailer, boiling pots, tables/w/hot sauce ect. any where they can. They are to much trouble for me to mess with.

bretsam":7zaakaew said:

Sounds like you are close to Chambers county. We've been to a couple of crawfish boils down there, the corn & potatoes are real good but I'd just as soon use the crawdads for bait!

Oh yes, they must be prepped and if they are prepared properly, they are fabulous and I can eat trays full of them. Of course, corn, potato, sausage, cold beer and friends are the perfect sides! ;-)

bretsam":398fdqw2 said:
Personally, I'm not hearing an invite. Think I could get one if I could get that etouffee' recipe?

novatech":v9oyctfq said:
bretsam":v9oyctfq said:
Personally, I'm not hearing an invite. Think I could get one if I could get that etouffee' recipe?

I do have it! guess he didn't want that either. :pretty:
PS You guys will always be invited, maybe we could cook some up here next spring, that's when they're the best! :heart: