crash landing (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

certherfbeef

Reaction score
Balloon landing on the "back 30" saturday evening. Don't normally see them in our area...too many hills and trees. They let off from the county fairgrounds, fair started today. They said that they caught a down draft when they came over the trees and couldn't put enough fire to it to stay aloft. Just thought I'd share.

964763-R1-21-3-2.jpg

964763-R1-16-8-2.jpg

You know, isn't it funny what we see when we look at pictures? In the top one, I was thinking, "Gosh, look at those big pretty pine trees." (they are pines, right?!) and the bottom one I thought "What a pretty field of hay, with those bales just really making the picture..those long shadows.... Oh, and you can see the marks where it had been raked and all"

And then, I spot the danged balloon.

dang certs i bet you was shocked to see the balloon go down in your pasture.those sure are pretty pics.how long did it take them to get it out of your pasture.scott

Just be glad they landed in your hay field. Around here they have a habit of coming down in corn and bean fields. They pay up but sure can make a mess.

If you ever get the chance, take a ride. I've been up several times. Can't think of anything to compare the experience to.

OK- I'm editing to clear this up a little. I work on the balloon crew for a lady pilot occasionally. The "pay" is once in a while I get to fly for free. Couldn't afford to do it otherwise.

sidney411":22do4eme said:
Cert - do you have to run the bailer uphill? If not, what keeps the bales from rolling back into the bailer when you dump it?

Sid,
That field we run up and down on the back side, it is longer that way. The part of the field you see we run long ways, horizontal. Most are too steep to run up and down.
Before we dump the bale we back up and turn so the bales sit sideways on the hill. Otherwise...we have to chase them.

There is also a set of spring loaded unloader bars on the back of the baler. Bale gets ejected onto them by the baler chains and that rolls the bale far enough away that even when sitting in a swale, the gate will shut again w/o catching the bale. Have a couple fields that we have to either drive to the top or the bottom to unload the baler.

I get to farm twice as many acres this way. Cause I get to farm both sides of the hill. ;-)

J&T Farm":175g3fxw said:
I call that a bale kicker. I think thats what ur talking about[/list]

Nope, we round bale everything. On the back of this unit is 3 round bars that are spring loaded. Bale rolls off them and away from the back gate. Sends the bale probably another 5 ft away from the back of the baler. If still confused, I'll take the digital out to the shed tomorrow.

49891.gif

We have a bale kicker on our JD 530. It pushes the bale as I am opening the back hatch and makes it roll away too but I've made the mistake ONCE of unloading facing downhill (not that much downhill :lol: ) and the bale rolled back enough I had to drive forward to close the gate on the baler. I was figuring on that much of a incline the bales would roll to the bottom. Hey - wouldn't it be easier to load them if they were all at the bottom of the hill? :lol:

A few summers ago, my husband taught me how to run the round baler. He went thru the motions...taught me over a couple of bales. He then said..."whatever you do make sure your on a flat spot when you unload, I don't want to be repairing fences, or losing any corn". I took off on my first bale solo...got it tied thought I was on a pretty flat spot, right near the top of the hill, and opened up the gate. The bale came out, made a 90 degree turn (guess I baled it a bit lopsided) and that bale proceeded to gain amazing speed as it progressed down the hill, hit the ditch, became airborne over the road and finally lodged between some trees in the woods. Before we finished that night, my husband made me climb down that (Steep) embankment into the woods about 50' with a cable, at night and hook onto that bale and haul it back out of there. Thankfully he let me use a tractor to drag that bale out... :roll: I haven't lost a bale since then!! I would never had to drag that dang bale out of the woods if my kids didn't have such big yaps....they LOVED mom getting an earful from dad!!

mitchwi":1edd3gb5 said:
A few summers ago, my husband taught me how to run the round baler. He went thru the motions...taught me over a couple of bales. He then said..."whatever you do make sure your on a flat spot when you unload, I don't want to be repairing fences, or losing any corn". I took off on my first bale solo...got it tied thought I was on a pretty flat spot, right near the top of the hill, and opened up the gate. The bale came out, made a 90 degree turn (guess I baled it a bit lopsided) and that bale proceeded to gain amazing speed as it progressed down the hill, hit the ditch, became airborne over the road and finally lodged between some trees in the woods. Before we finished that night, my husband made me climb down that (Steep) embankment into the woods about 50' with a cable, at night and hook onto that bale and haul it back out of there. Thankfully he let me use a tractor to drag that bale out... :roll: I haven't lost a bale since then!! I would never had to drag that dang bale out of the woods if my kids didn't have such big yaps....they LOVED mom getting an earful from dad!!

that had to have been a sight :shock: :shock: :lol:

HatCreekFan":1lcw322b said:
You know, isn't it funny what we see when we look at pictures? In the top one, I was thinking, "Gosh, look at those big pretty pine trees." (they are pines, right?!) and the bottom one I thought "What a pretty field of hay, with those bales just really making the picture..those long shadows.... Oh, and you can see the marks where it had been raked and all"

And then, I spot the danged balloon.

Same here....couldn't take my eyes off the green.

Cert,
Pictures are beautiful, awesome scenery. I could spend the entire day just sitting on that hill, and be very content. Those pictures reminds me of how much I miss Indian summers in the Mohawk valley.

Thanks for posting them.

No Im not confused. I just call that a bale kicker. I have that same baler. Bars attached to a spring on each side that kicks the bale out far enuf that u dont have to back up to dump. Im on the same page with u.

I have an 853. Same baler only yours is 5x5 and mine is 5x4. Have you ever had a problem with your knives not catching the twine and cutting it? I'm having to get out of the tractor and cut the twine by hand every bale.

Is the string still coming out of the very end of the tube? Other than that there might be some adjustment under there at ur knives but Id have to check on that.

Latest posts