Crappie fishing

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Anyone fishing for crappie across the south? Just had a friend in Southern Alabama tell me they could catch 200 a day now. Time for a road trip I think.

Anyone fishing for crappie across the south? Just had a friend in Southern Alabama tell me they could catch 200 a day now. Time for a road trip I think.

They have ben wearing them out this week on Weiss. A day like today, the lake was full of boats. Everyone is after that $10k tagged crappie. So far, two $100 tagged fish have ben caught. I want to go tomorrow, but I got a lot to do in the office this week, and I will feel guilty if I do. And I actually have doctor's orders to go fishing! He said he believed the number 1 cause of my heart attacks was stress. I have never paid much attention to what my doctors say, like an idiot, especially if t is "slow down: or anything else I don't like, But, I have about decided to do what this one tells me to do! :)

How about Lake Lanier?
Yep. Lanier is a popular crappie lake as well. I haven't fished it in 30 years, and when I did back them it was usually a bass tournament, but I remember when I was little, my grand father and his friend went to Lanier a lot. Allatoona is the closest to me, and if you know where there is structure, or you build your own ithe winter when the lake is down, it can be as good as Weiss. YOu can do well fishing tyhe boat docks at the Marinas at Lanier and Allatoona. https://gon.com/fishing/georgia-fishing-reports

Use to fish Weiss lake close to Centre and Cedar Bluff Al . Crappie hotspot back in the 70's . Big #'s really hurt it . Not supposed to be there but we have crappie in one of our farm ponds. Best eating fish in my opinion. In the south anyway. Legal limit is now 30 and have to be 9 inches

Use to fish Weiss lake close to Centre and Cedar Bluff Al . Crappie hotspot back in the 70's . Big #'s really hurt it . Not supposed to be there but we have crappie in one of our farm ponds. Best eating fish in my opinion. In the south anyway. Legal limit is now 30 and have to be 9 inches
Bream too. Crappie and bream are my favorite. If I had to rank them I would say bream1 and crappie 2, or maybe 1 and a half! :) And catfish close up in there. In shore, I exclusively go for trout, reds and flounder. Flounder my favorite. Off shore snapper and grouper. Anything else I will let other people keep them.

Lots of crappie in the watershed! Mr TC rarely fishes anymore but neighbors come out a lot. (I don't fish or eat 'em).
I used to eat a lot of fish years ago ...now it's scary what's in the water and Georgia waters are not clean!! unfortunately you can look at the report some of the lakes tell you not even to eat any fish .....
pretty crazy how we've screwed up our environment.
I'm not exactly a tree hugger but when you have to have a concern about the fish you eat things are out of hand.

I used to eat a lot of fish years ago ...now it's scary what's in the water and Georgia waters are not clean!! unfortunately you can look at the report some of the lakes tell you not even to eat any fish .....
pretty crazy how we've screwed up our environment.
I'm not exactly a tree hugger but when you have to have a concern about the fish you eat things are out of hand.
We had blue green algae in the watershed last summer. No, thank you! Actually, a lot of Kansas lakes were closed due to the algae.

Scratching out a few Lil cold here still for big #'s water temp yesterday 39.2

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230208_062133_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230208_062133_Gallery.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230208_062259_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230208_062259_Gallery.jpg
    416.1 KB · Views: 16
I have not been out fishing in a very long time. As a kid we used to go out about every weekend, well until it got to hot and the fishing was not so good. We fished mostly for trout, and if we could not take the boat we didn't go. In my opinion if they fried right way they are not to bad, but put them in the freezer you might as well put them in the trash. I would rather catch them than eat them.

Scratching out a few Lil cold here still for big #'s water temp yesterday 39.2
Probably 13 years ago, neighbor "kid" called and asked if he & his buddy could fish the watershed. Da hell??? It was cold enough we pulled 2 newborn calves and took them to the workshop to warm up, plus a steady sleet most of the day. But whatever - knock yourselves out! 6 hours later, those boys showed up to the house to thank us and they were soaked, shivering and positively giddy. Best crappie fishing ever and they were so excited and hard core, they refused to stop until logic finally kicked in. Biggest crappie caught in our watershed was 4 lbs, just under the state record (for white crappie).

The best part about crappie fishing was dropping a minnow by a dead tree and catching a catfish instead. 😄

I don't care much for jigging but if they hit a beetle spin or some thing it's pretty fun.
It seems a lot of fishermen are troling instead of fishing the trees. My friend said he trolls with 12-16 rods at the same time.

Not really my cup of tea crappie fishing but they eat good. Rayburn and Toledo produce some slab fish.
Finished product is hard to beat.View attachment 26032
I prefer bass fishing
Them some good lookin' vittles right there! Those aren't the first fish you ever fried. I like crappie and brim best as far as eating goes.

Latest posts