Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

My friend that I posted about that feeds out 1000 a year on that silage, cotton seed, chicken litter and the spent mash from Budweiser...that @Sthrncwboy works for.... has about 400 Corr cows that he breeds to Brangus...sometimes Ultrablack. He also buys 500--600 1/2 Fla Scrub/Fla Cracker and Pineywoods calves each year. He has several people in Fla and Alabama that has hese type cattle. He supplied the the bulls, and contracts to buy every calf for a certain amount I think it is $250, might be $300. Pays them when the calves stand and suck . The cows owners have to band the bull calves as art of the deal. he goes to get them when they are 6 mos old. These cows are bigger than Corrs but not as heavy as Longhorns. They are no bigger when he gets them than ours are when we wean them, but sob do they put on weight after he works them and puts them in his feed lots. He does the whole 9 yards as far as worming, vaccs, and implants. Once they get about 1000 lbs ( looks to me that's what they weigh) he sends them to a feedlot his buddy manages in Oklahoma. They weigh them when they get there and feed them for I think 90 days, then they carry them to the processor for him. He pays the feed lot so much per pound for every pound they gained.

Unless you are buying registered Heritage seed stock, though, I usually pay the same for these and the Fla Scrubs or Crackers as I do for Corriente.

I logged on to a sale in Canton, North Carolina the other day, hoping to see what pairs and heavy breds were bringing.
Instead, it was a parade of Highlands, White Parks and High-Park crosses. The smaller and woolier they were the more they brought. One looked stunted and brought over $6,000. They even had a Yak-Bu, a Zebu and Yak cross the people in the crowd came down and rode (He could back better than he could go forward.
I did not know this was such a thing. All I can say is sell quick while the market is hot!

Evidently there are enough people that own a few acres and think these miniatures are cute, so some breeders are trying to get rich off the dumb people that buy these animals.

Very sad. Don't know how something could be so small at a year old.
I had a dink a few years back was around that size. I fed her and butchered her, she weighed 1050 on the hoof with a full brisket. Just beat the 30 month mark. She was crazy, hit the butterfly gates on the back of the trailer so hard I had to beat the cross bar open to unload her. Believe it or not, she was pretty tender. I won't do that again, but she was worth way more on the fork than on the scales.

Latest posts