Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Not quite that simple. There are multiple different phenotypes of white coat color in cattle/buffalo. Very few of these are a simple dominant or simple recessive gene mutation.
Most are the result of a combination of genes that are responsible for the coat color. (No one single gene location is responsible for the white phenotype.)
And genetic studies have proven that all living North American Bison are the result of cross with domestic cattle.
Again you are wrong. There are two..a Yellowstone herd and one on a reservation that are pure bison, with no cattle genetics . And in other wild herds, there isn't enough to influence anything, just enough to show up in a DNA test, Kinda like DNA of most humans will show traces of Neanderthal . It would be impossible to isolate and "breed up" either to get a pure Cattle or a Neanderthal. There were white buffalo for hundreds of years in North America before cattle were brought over, Albinism is present in all mammals...bison are no different.

Again you are wrong. There are two..a Yellowstone herd and one on a reservation that are pure bison, with no cattle genetics . And in other wild herds, there isn't enough to influence anything, just enough to show up in a DNA test, Kinda like DNA of most humans will show traces of Neanderthal . It would be impossible to isolate and "breed up" either to get a pure Cattle or a Neanderthal. There were white buffalo for hundreds of years in North America before cattle were brought over, Albinism is present in all mammals...bison are no different.
The Yellowstone herd is not pure. And if there is a herd that is pure on a reservation it's been hidden away and would have to be so inbred it wouldn't be healthy.

But you're right that the DNA from cattle doesn't have a lot of influence in some herds. The color being discussed these specific examples may or may not be from original bison DNA which is pretty much the point. There are an increasing number of white calves being born for a reason. Just like white tigers or lions, or deer, giraffes, or oddly patterned cheetah or zebra, human beings are getting into the act and skewing the survival probabilities.

Again you are wrong. There are two..a Yellowstone herd and one on a reservation that are pure bison, with no cattle genetics . And in other wild herds, there isn't enough to influence anything, just enough to show up in a DNA test,
Scientists and researchers disagree with you big boy but no sense in letting facts get in the way of your opinion.

The price seems.... Like what I have been seeing here. Not justifying it, just saying it is in line with the current market. I have seen others mention this underbite; can anyone fill a new guy in? I'm sure I will get a few sarcastic answers but if at least one of you could provide the real info on underbites I would be most appreciative 😄

Judy's coming. I can feel it!
Wobbie - underbite and overbite is a genetic defect. They don't do well in the real world - can't eat properly. The defect can be inherited or "caused" by environment. (Judy will explain).
Sorry - we have a nice lady that is "stuck" on explaining all over-under bites from all the chemicals the bad farmers are using. She did lots of research on deer and has a good argument - but - - - -

I think many of us have dealt with things in our lives that we may have been horrified with or endured for a long period
of time. When we learn there is a cause, a prevention or a cure we want to spread the word.
For me it was a pain pill, that I wish I had known about 20 years before I did. It was RX at the time a doctor first introduce me to it,
it has been an OTC for probably 35 years now. Most people just laughed at me when I talked about this pain killer.

A person can have a whole group of cows that appear to be getting adequate nutrition and still have one within the group that obviously
is not. I had a little cow that obviously was not performing as she should, could have sold her, but chose to find out why, I am sure my whole little herd of cows benefited from me being determined to find out the why.
Hang in there Jody :)

I think many of us have dealt with things in our lives that we may have been horrified with or endured for a long period
of time. When we learn there is a cause, a prevention or a cure we want to spread the word.
For me it was a pain pill, that I wish I had known about 20 years before I did. It was RX at the time a doctor first introduce me to it,
it has been an OTC for probably 35 years now. Most people just laughed at me when I talked about this pain killer.
So, what is the pill?

Latest posts