Cracked hooves

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What causes a crack in the hooves of a 5 yr. old cow. She has a nice shiney coat of hair. Ive heard it is caused by muddy conditions, which is not the case.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3ow5hv3n said:
: What causes a crack in the hooves of a 5 yr. old cow. She has a nice shiney coat of hair. Ive heard it is caused by muddy conditions, which is not the case.<p>I had this happen to two of my 7-8 year old cows last year.<br>I also thought this was weather related, hot dry weather then the cattle would go stand in muddy water. However, I was told by folks in the show cattle business, that this can be caused by a nutritional or digestive problem. Improper utilization of forage/feed. Can be caused by poor circulation of blood to the hoof. If you can easily handle the animal keep the crack disinfected on the surface, and you might consider pennicillin to clean up any bacterial infection that might be present. I also mixed a supplement like probiosis or Fasttrack with the feed each day. This will take a long time to heal but I was somewhat successful. What you are trying to do is promote the developement of new hoof tissue. Good Luck
<br>

[email protected]

If the toes are long and the crack is across, it is normal. We have no rocks in our area and some of the cows' feet grow too long. They will usually crack off and smooth out. In severe cases, we've had to have them trimmed and a couple of times they cracked off too short into the quick and were sore. In this case, iodine is a good disinfectant to prevent infection and just as in a torn nail in a person, it will eventually grow out past the tender area.<br>: : What causes a crack in the hooves of a 5 yr. old cow. She has a nice shiney coat of hair. Ive heard it is caused by muddy conditions, which is not the case.<p>: I had this happen to two of my 7-8 year old cows last year.<br>: I also thought this was weather related, hot dry weather then the cattle would go stand in muddy water. However, I was told by folks in the show cattle business, that this can be caused by a nutritional or digestive problem. Improper utilization of forage/feed. Can be caused by poor circulation of blood to the hoof. If you can easily handle the animal keep the crack disinfected on the surface, and you might consider pennicillin to clean up any bacterial infection that might be present. I also mixed a supplement like probiosis or Fasttrack with the feed each day. This will take a long time to heal but I was somewhat successful. What you are trying to do is promote the developement of new hoof tissue. Good Luck<p>
<br>
<ul><li><a href="http://www.totalaccess.net/~calpat/">CalPat Longhorns</a></ul>

[email protected]

You make an excellent point on horizontal cracks. The cracks I was referring to are vertical cracks. We have some good vet advise on this page and I would hope they would share more of their professional advise on health and nutritional problems. "Vicki the vet" <p><br>: If the toes are long and the crack is across, it is normal. We have no rocks in our area and some of the cows' feet grow too long. They will usually crack off and smooth out. In severe cases, we've had to have them trimmed and a couple of times they cracked off too short into the quick and were sore. In this case, iodine is a good disinfectant to prevent infection and just as in a torn nail in a person, it will eventually grow out past the tender area.<br>: : : What causes a crack in the hooves of a 5 yr. old cow. She has a nice shiney coat of hair. Ive heard it is caused by muddy conditions, which is not the case.<p>: : I had this happen to two of my 7-8 year old cows last year.<br>: : I also thought this was weather related, hot dry weather then the cattle would go stand in muddy water. However, I was told by folks in the show cattle business, that this can be caused by a nutritional or digestive problem. Improper utilization of forage/feed. Can be caused by poor circulation of blood to the hoof. If you can easily handle the animal keep the crack disinfected on the surface, and you might consider pennicillin to clean up any bacterial infection that might be present. I also mixed a supplement like probiosis or Fasttrack with the feed each day. This will take a long time to heal but I was somewhat successful. What you are trying to do is promote the developement of new hoof tissue. Good Luck<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts