cracked hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

regenwether

Reaction score
I've got a nice 5 yr old Bull that was messing around about a month ago. Doing a lot of Jumping on cows when they were pened up in a yard. Well he started limping. Took notice and I saw he had a vertical crack all the up his hoof. Yes its the on one of the hind legs. I was hoped that he'd get better. Soon he began to swell above the hoof. I noticed a little white ooze coming from the crack as he walked. I asked the vet if there is a "Hoof cement" to hold the crack together. They said it would be bad to use because it would hold in any infection. They said to use LA-200. Does well to get in those hard to reach places. They said there maybe a short term fertilily probelm using la-200(its octretracycline). The swelling is gone. He is putting much more pressure on that leg. The crack however seems to be getting wider. Breeding season here starts the 1st. of May. Anyone have any ideas on how to help that hoof heal??

I just went through this with a 9 year old cow last week. My vet had me keep iodine on it and wrap it with cotton and vet wrap. When he got out here he looked at blocking it but just wrapped it again and I gave her some LA. I have kept her and her 6 month old calf penned from the rest of the cows just to keep them from pushing her around. Funny that even though she is usually a dominant cow, some of the others were taking advantage of the situation. With a lone bull you probably wouldn't have to worry about that. My vet did say it might take it 4 or 5 months to heal so he may not be able to breed for a while. I would talk to a vet or as I was advised get with a dairy in your area and see if they can recommend someone that trims cattle. If you don't have the LA, I would buy La300. It doesn't take as many injections to get the required dosage.