Cracked Hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

jayfarmlaw

Reaction score
I have a Angus 4 year old bred cow that I bought at a sale barn last week. Friday, she began limping badly on her front left hoof. I got her in a chute yesterday thinking it might be foot rot or an object but all I could see is a crack about 2 inches long running verticle in the center of the hoof. It is not particulalry tender but she cant put much weight on it. I did not have any copper tox so I gave her a dose of LA200, B-12, and sprayed the hoof with purple wound spray.

I see there are pine tar products for horses that seal the hoof to preven infection. I have her on liquid feed, bermuda hay, salt, and free choice stocker mineral. These cows were thin when i bought them so I am giving them all they want to eat right now. Another post said cracked hooves are nutritionally related. I hope they are getting everything they need now.

Soooo. Anything else I need to do before turning her back out?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

I don't know what's to be done with a cracked hoof other than using what you might use on a horse to seal it after you've cleaned it out real good.

However, as far as anything else needing to be done before she's turned out...You said that the cows you bought were really thin when you got them. Were it me, I wouldn't turn her out into a big area until she quit limping. I'd try to keep her where she didn't have to do too much walking to get to feed and water until she can at least keep up with the other cows.

Also, pain can cause weight loss...no point in setting her back by making her walk too far to eat or compete with the others. Just my 2 cents.

Alice

We have a horse that had a crack in his hoof when we bought him. We are keepin him shod on the front, and giving him biotin supplement to help his hoof grow out stronger (and it seems to be working). I don't know if biotin would help your cow, but just a thought, after you clean it and dr it, wrappin it with some vet wrap and then some duct tape might not hurt. Just to keep the crack stable and not wigglin when she walks. ???

I'd sure try to keep her on dry ground tho.

I was told that cracked hooves generally are caused by a lack of mineral. I would contack your feedstore and see what they recommend. If you have a hoof guy in your area he can block the good side to relieve some of the pressure from the cracked side.

Latest posts