Cracked hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was feeding my bull when I noticed a small crack in his front hoof. It starts around the top and continues about half way down the hoof. I haven't noticed a change in stride when walks or anything to make me think that it will be a problem. However, he will be turned out with the cows in a couple months and I am worried about a problem then. He is a 4 year old that weighs about 1800lbs and is a medium framed angus bull. He will be servicing 23 cows. I would appreciate any advice on whether to keep him through the season or to start looking for a replacement. Thank you for advice or comment you can give.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

It's rather common for older bulls to have small cracks after the winter. You say he's not lame so that's a good sign. If he has been in a small or soft area for the winter, he just needs some exercise on hard ground to trim the hoof. The crack is a stress crack from the size of his foot.<p>2 options, trim his feet, or watch him closely and be prepared to get a replacement if he goes lame. Likely he won't if he isn't already lame.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Latest posts