cracked feet?

Help Support CattleToday:

Old_man_emu

Reaction score
I have a small herd of 55 females and i would say of the cows aged 4 or older, which is about 20 cows, i think atleast 6 would have cracked feet.
I had the vet look at the worst of them and he said that because the cracks extended above the hair line at the top of the hoof, he couldn't really treat it and it was better for me just
to cull.
I have heard everything from mineral deficiency, poor structure and even that some cattle just seen to be predisposed to these problem.
So given that I haven't yet seen any animals 3 years or younger, is it fair to say that the problem is looking after itself with improvements i have made without even being aware? And has anyone had any experience treating/dealing with these problems?

There is a disease I can't remember the name of that mainly effects sheep but does infect cattle that causes the symptoms you describe. It is a protein problem. You need a good vet.

Caustic Burno":2yujfufw said:
It is a protein problem. You need a good vet.
As in high protein?
The thing I keep coming back to in my head is that from memory, the cows that are now 4.5 y/o have had the problem since they were 2. But i'm not seeing it in there 2 and 3 y /o daughters and the biggest change on the place has been in the improvement of the pasture with a significant increase in the use of fertiliser over that time.

Old_man_emu":3gnxtrkv said:
Caustic Burno":3gnxtrkv said:
It is a protein problem. You need a good vet.
As in high protein?
The thing I keep coming back to in my head is that from memory, the cows that are now 4.5 y/o have had the problem since they were 2. But i'm not seeing it in there 2 and 3 y /o daughters and the biggest change on the place has been in the improvement of the pasture with a significant increase in the use of fertiliser over that time.

It has to do with high urea. Just one of those things I remember from years ago.
Need to talk to your Ag College Vet.
I am not saying that is what it is as I never have had a case I remember it from a health seminar from who knows when.

What I remember was they started off with what they thought was hoof root that they couldn't seem to figure out where it was coming from . Some type of bacteria liked the higher urea/nitrogen enviroment. Then they went on to suggest food grade iodine supplementation with limeing of feeding and beding areas. They also treated it with some type of antibiotics that I can't remember.

I appreciate the reply Caustic!I need to start somewhere and while plenty of people have viewed the post, you're the only person to have replied. Someone may read what you have said and remember exactly the type of thing you are talking about.
Cheers!

Minerals play a definite part in the hoof cracks. Iodine or lack of it seems to play a huge role. As well, a change in diet will add to the stress. Going from hay to pasture or pasture to hay will show up in the hooves if mineral need are not met completely.
Being that it hits your older ones and not the younger, I think the minerals should be looked at and either changed or stepped up. For us, if we do not keep up with extra iodine and make sure they are eating enough minerals, we find its the 4 year olds which run into problems with either the sand cracks in the feet or lumpy jaw/woody tongue issues

Our dairy cattle usually get feet problems once they start getting too much protein in their pellets too high protein levels will also affect their fertility among other things. My highland bull (pic) had a bad foot problem & never really got over it breeder told me he hurt it on the trip up but I think he had it long term

Latest posts