Cracked corn or rolled feeding steer?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nice to meet 'ya, Alan, from-the-soggy-side! Last year we finished our steers on COB and rolled corn. Hubby usually does the feeding, so I don't remember exactly, but I think we were doing 2 parts corn to 1 part cob, plus all the alfalfa they'd eat. We also mixed in some soda with the grain, just for CYA purposes. K

He said 120 lbs of barley ,I do know that it is not steam rolled because they do not buy feed. Maybe he meant 120lbs of tmr with the grain in it. I thought it sounded excessive ,but I am just a city girl . :p
I saw a pic of the steer and he was huge and very finished.

Voodoo ,Dougie ,Freddie and Eddie were up to about 80 lbs of steam rolled barley a day, they got fed it 3 times a day . Eddie weighed over 2100 lbs at slaughter and the rest were around 1800 lbs .

The digestibility runs around 7-8% better with each type. So you're looking at 16% better for rolled versus whole. The difference in cost between whole and cracked is higher then that and rolled versus cracked is higher yet.
What sbout steamed rolled corn

What sbout steamed rolled corn
I am not one to argue with Dun, he was almost always right.
But, hubby was a nutritionist.
All processed corn is about 8% more efficient. But it doesn't double for a different process. Still possibly 8% more efficient.
Also, WSC is generally healthier, less chance of assidosis.
Steam flaked corn is fancy...and expensive. Probably better....8% better.

Latest posts