Crack in cows hoof

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What causes a crack in the hooves of a 5 yr. old cow. She has a nice shiney coat of hair. Ive heard it is caused by muddy conditions, which is not the case. The crack is verticle(from hairline towards ground) It appears to be abt. and inch long and open apx 1/4" (rough edges). Only on 1 hoof. She is halter broken, so I can handle her if the diagnosis requires it. It doesnt appear to be painful to her.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Sounds like a stress crack or sand crack. It is caused by the hoof growing too long and the stress of walking on it causes a crack. The hoof needs to trim itself on a regular basis to be healthy. Genetics, diet and environment can cause a hoof to grow too quickly or not to trim itself quickly enough.<p>As long as there is no discomfort to the cow, leave it alone until you need to do something else with her. It may get worse or never bother. As a precaution, no replacement stock should be kept from her unless you determine it isn't genetic.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada
<br>

[email protected]

I also have a cow with this problem. I'm going to put out a sulfured salt block and see if that help. This is used for horses who may have cracked hoofs.
<br>

[email protected]

I just saw your post, and I have a three year old <br>cow with the same problem. She also has a few cracks that run horizantally. I asked the ferrier I use for my horses. He said in Horses if a crack is vertical it is environment related and if it is horizantal it is nutrition related. We aren't sure if it applies to cows as well or not. The cracks with my cow appeared about a month before she was to have her first calf. I assumed it was related to the weight gain and the stress of carring a calf, but several months later she still has them. Thankfully they don't seem to cause her any pain.<br>Good Luck with yours<br>Jen<br>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts