Crab Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

No hay field here, just some acres amongst the trees to try and grow a grass that can thrive in this sandy loam soil. Crab grass and Bahia is my best chance at success. There ain't no lime truck or coastal Bermuda sprigger going to roll through here with any success. Doing the best I can with what I have to work with.

Folks, if you're gonna buy crabgrass seed, by it from RL Dalrymple at Ardmore, Oklahoma. He started all the work on improving crabgrass seed and study of its management. Through his work with the Noble Foundation, he has forgotten more about growing and grazing grass than any of us on this board will ever know. He is one of the true greats in the cattle industry.
Spent about an hour talking (listening 😂) to RL a couple of years ago. You're correct he certainly knows his stuff. Shipped me 20 lbs of grass and it's done excellent. My issue is you can't control sand burr well without affecting crab grass

No hay field here, just some acres amongst the trees to try and grow a grass that can thrive in this sandy loam soil. Crab grass and Bahia is my best chance at success. There ain't no lime truck or coastal Bermuda sprigger going to roll through here with any success. Doing the best I can with what I have to work with.
Well, it looks like it is working well for you. Nice looking stand of grass in those pictures. Most of the pastures I have had up here were fescue/bermuda/clover. and I bet had a lot of crabgrass too. I wouldn't mind a pasture that looks as good as yours at all, long as it was far enough away from the horse-hay fields to not get in it!

I know a lot of you intentionally sow it, as well as Johnson grass, but I can't help cringing every time I read a thread like this. I have spent thousands of dollars and thousands of hours waging a continuous 50 year war to keep these out of Bermuda hay fields. I never realized til I got on CT that seed companies actually sold it to be intentionally sowed, much less developed varieties for doin so!
It's the Corriente of pasture grasses. :giggle:

Latest posts