Cpc direct buying KY

Help Support CattleToday:

littletom

Reaction score
Was at a meeting tonight. A older man was telling about how he sold his calves yesterday. Took them to cpc was payed market price from last week. Only deductions were for check off $. He was very happy. Anyone else done this?

A buyer here buys for CPC but it's normally not the top calves. Wouldn't hurt to call and see what they say. Last week's market price where?

I don't know he said what he got was flat to .02 higher than what Glasgow did last week, where he normally sells. So with out deductions for insurance and commission he was happy. I see their point they get them delivered for same price. Its interesting if you live close enough to make it work. Wondered if anyone else had gone this route.

I have sold to Capitol Livestock in Texas and it sounds like it works the same way. I believe Fence sells to them also. What they pay is based on the averages that their cattle buyers from all over the state paid the day before. They are very transparent on their numbers and will show you if you ask. Your costs are only the check off and a small amount for insurance.
If you have above average backgrounded calves, its probably not your best deal but if you normally wean on the way to the sale barn, it can work out well. I would send my best most uniform calves to a group sale like OKC and send the balance down to Capitols yard. You get an average price so send a average calf.

One additional benefit was that they unload you and weigh you out as soon as they can sort what you have so you don't have much shrink. They would unload me and I would be back on the road with check in hand in under an hour. Here is their operation if interested.

http://www.cllnet.com/

I sell most of our calves in similar fashion, but it's a local family with a feedlot. They usually price my calves a few cents under market, but with no shrink, commission, or trucking.....It's a pretty fair deal IMO.

Farm Fence Solutions":qyehmzoy said:
I sell most of our calves in similar fashion, but it's a local family with a feedlot. They usually price my calves a few cents under market, but with no shrink, commission, or trucking.....It's a pretty fair deal IMO.
I am trying to follow your thinking but need a little help. I get the no commission, but unless they pick the calves up at your place and weigh on your scales on the farm, then there is going to be shrink and trucking costs.

BC":1wgt9ixv said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1wgt9ixv said:
I am trying to follow your thinking but need a little help. I get the no commission, but unless they pick the calves up at your place and weigh on your scales on the farm, then there is going to be shrink and trucking costs.

They handle the trucking. We have several neighbors with scales......They weigh before they pull in at my place, we load the calves on their trailer, weigh again on the way out. It's a solid floor trailer, so even most of the urine makes it to the scales. Bingo bango. No trucking costs for me, and I would say that is about as minimal as shrink could possibly be.

Latest posts