Coyote's

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus1

Reaction score
I think coyote's killed a young calf , Found the calf this morning almost torn in half - this would be the first issue with coyote's in past 20 years I'm aware of . They are definately on the property . They can be heard most evenings . Anyways I'm afraid they got the taste and this will happen again . I want them gone / dead . From asking around a little the best way seems to be putting out meat soaked in antifreeze ? Any suggestions ?

I don't know that I've ever had one kill a calf but they will darn sure be the first on the scene if there's already a problem. I do keep them thinned out, though. I started calling them with a foxpro system and that has worked really well. Just hit them the first time they come in because they'll come flying in the first time but they're smart enough not to give you a second chance if you screw that chance up.

I have TONS of coyotes on my farm and they have never bothered a calf. The only thing they have ever gotten was some beagle hound pups. I'm willing to bet it was dogs rather than coyotes.

Kyle

BobbyLummus1":12tlsvgt said:
I think coyote's killed a young calf , Found the calf this morning almost torn in half - this would be the first issue with coyote's in past 20 years I'm aware of . They are definately on the property . They can be heard most evenings . Anyways I'm afraid they got the taste and this will happen again . I want them gone / dead . From asking around a little the best way seems to be putting out meat soaked in antifreeze ? Any suggestions ?

I hate to tell you that soaking meat in antifreeze is outdated unless you have some from the 60's or 70' 80's its changed and not as toxic. Personally I think you should get a good call and start whacking them and or get a lot of foot traps.

trappersteve":1u9cfxbw said:
Look to see if the insides were eaten out coyotes always start with the heart, liver, lungs.

Agree. Also tell tale sign is chewing of ribs. If not, it was some other kind of predator other than coyote/wolf.

Get you some seat cushion foam. Fry up a bunch of bacon. After you get thru eating to bacon soak the cushion pieces that you cut into hand size pieces. Let them cool and put where no dogs can get to them. Your coyote problem will go away.

This remedy was given to me by an oldtimer. I have personally never done it. But I know some that have and it worked. It is not very humane.

skyhightree1":1t1tz0eq said:
I hate to tell you that soaking meat in antifreeze is outdated unless you have some from the 60's or 70' 80's its changed and not as toxic. Personally I think you should get a good call and start whacking them and or get a lot of foot traps.

I know you could still buy the kind that would kill within the last 6 years ,true not all will kill ,but I know you could still buy the good stuff in the last 7 years

A caller your favorite shotgun with 00 Buck a red light and some alone time on a remote piece of your land works best for me.

M5farm":2u4l92u8 said:
Get you some seat cushion foam. Fry up a bunch of bacon. After you get thru eating to bacon soak the cushion pieces that you cut into hand size pieces. Let them cool and put where no dogs can get to them. Your coyote problem will go away.

This remedy was given to me by an oldtimer. I have personally never done it. But I know some that have and it worked. It is not very humane.

Trouble with that remedy is you cannot aim it. You could sure enuf kill your own dog.

Or your neighbors 3Waycross. You can call coyotes till the cows come home and not put a dent in the population. I have no use for coyotes or dogs on our property. Just another tool to try.

Seems the coyotes usually get the blame. I recall one such discussion someone saying he thought the coyote jumped over the fence with the calf. Yeah, right. How much does a coyote weigh?

It is possible for calves to die. And then scavengers clean them up.

And where was the momma cow when a little coyote was going after her calf? Almost sounds like more of a cow problem.

The coyotes I see spend most their time catching mice and other little critters which would otherwise be doing damage to fields.

Before you start cleaning them out, might want to consider more evidence.

Though I realize it is exciting to go after them.

Have there been any problems with dogs in your area? Long time ago we had a neighbor with some dogs that were terrorizing the farms nearby and killing livestock. Had enough issues with them we even had the sheriff come out and deal with them because either they were mistreating them, malnourished, or something that was causing them to be overly aggressive and neighbors got to the point we'd shoot the dogs on site if we caught them on our property. A few of them ganged up on one of our cow calf pairs and chased them through a fence then mutilated that calf in a creek. Luckily one of the neighbors was nearby and saw it happen while we were not home, got his horse and gun and waited for them to come out and killed several of them. The dog's owner wasn't happy, said one of the dogs that was killed he paid over $500 for. We said, well that still doesn't make us even for the calf it killed.

I found a tail of a newborn calf the other day... dont think it was coyotes, but usually its dogs. Dogs will chase them and grab the tail first. Coyotes come in after the chase, when the calf is already dead.
I dont like coyotes at all.. wish they would all disappear, and my ol Ruger 22 will make em go away, just gotta get the chance at em. I did chase one down and run over it the other evening. He had a chance. :D

I've seen - with my own eyes - a pair of coyotes dragging off live twin calves. They were dragging them opposite directions, and the poor cow was running back and forth trying to get the coyotes off the calves. As soon as she left one to save the other, the other coyote would drag that one a little further away. We saved one calf and had to shoot the other. They were not dogs. Coyotes will kill a young heathy calf.

Pretty sure that was the case , this was a fresh kill when I got to the farm that morning , the cow was balling ( chased me on atv dragging the calf off ) , the carcass was almost torn into ( I didn't investigate much ) wish I would have

Never had a coyote kill a calf here, but I am certain they would kill one if they were hungry enough. Getting rid of them is not hard. People everywhere are looking for places to call/hunt coyotes. I love doing it, take a few off our place every year. Keeps them thinned out a bit. I don't want them over populated, but I don't necessarily want them extinct either. They are fun to hunt. Antelope, however, could be extinct. I would be ok with that.