coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

whippoorwill

Reaction score
we seam to have lots of coyotes.can be heard most nights but have never had any problems from them. just wondering do ya'll have problems from them or is their reputation worse than they really are? thanks

See a lot of them here. See them out in the pasture watching cows and calves, but to my knowledge they have not bothered any, yet.

Me and neighbor vaccinate them when we can.

If you kill them off you won't have to worry if they will bother your cattle.

Strike some fear in their little hearts.

Last year, two of my neighbors had newborn calves attacked by coyotes. One survived; the other didn't make it. They didn't eat the calves. I asked the county trapper about it. He said the coyotes mothers were teaching their pups how to hunt. They've never gotten my calves, but I shoot any that I see.

Bez has an interesting theory on "good" coyotes vs bad.

We have guys who hunt them on our farm but frankly I wish they turn their sights to the Mexican Buzzard problems we're having. Lost 3 calves to buzzards this spring and none to the 'yotes.

TennesseeTuxedo":19ph4cz3 said:

We have guys who hunt them on our farm but frankly I wish they turn their sights to the Mexican Buzzard problems we're having. Lost 3 calves to buzzards this spring and none to the 'yotes.
Tux, I believe you are right. Those black buzzards are really abundant here now.

inyati13":1bqsfjpy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1bqsfjpy said:

Tux, I believe you are right. Those black buzzards are really abundant here now.

Our place is right across the Ohio River from a roost of at least 100 of the flying vermin. Not sure how we're going to deal with them from here on out.

TTux,
I've seen photos of a buzzard trap - essentially a big cage, maybe 8 ft tall? maybe 10-12 ft square, with open top. You put bait (roadkill, dead calf, etc.) in there. The buzzards light on top, drop in to eat, but there's not enough room for them to achieve lift off.
Like shooting fish in a barrel... SSS.
Whether it's deserving of that status or not, it's a federally-protected species. SSS.

Bez is right, by the way, about 'good' and 'bad' coyotes. Ask the folks at Berea College what happened to their sheep flock when their 'good' coyotes were removed, and some with a taste for lamb/mutton moved in...
I've had coyotes eat a few calves over the past few years - all newborns - but I have no way of knowing if the 'yotes actually 'took' them, or if the calf was born dead, and they just seized on the opportunity. If a cow doesn't eat all her placenta, I try to remove it from the pasture ASAP - more for decreasing attraction to buzzards than for discouraging coyotes hanging around.
I don't necessarily shoot every one I see, but have killed a few along the way, either eating a dead calf (within 50 yards of my back door) or hanging around the cow herd.

Grandpa":3u1v2qup said:
Last year, two of my neighbors had newborn calves attacked by coyotes. One survived; the other didn't make it. They didn't eat the calves. I asked the county trapper about it. He said the coyotes mothers were teaching their pups how to hunt. They've never gotten my calves, but I shoot any that I see.

Sure it wasn't dogs?

Lucky_P":1i59un41 said:
TTux,
I've seen photos of a buzzard trap - essentially a big cage, maybe 8 ft tall? maybe 10-12 ft square, with open top. You put bait (roadkill, dead calf, etc.) in there. The buzzards light on top, drop in to eat, but there's not enough room for them to achieve lift off.
Like shooting fish in a barrel... SSS.
Whether it's deserving of that status or not, it's a federally-protected species. SSS.

Bez is right, by the way, about 'good' and 'bad' coyotes. Ask the folks at Berea College what happened to their sheep flock when their 'good' coyotes were removed, and some with a taste for lamb/mutton moved in...
I've had coyotes eat a few calves over the past few years - all newborns - but I have no way of knowing if the 'yotes actually 'took' them, or if the calf was born dead, and they just seized on the opportunity. If a cow doesn't eat all her placenta, I try to remove it from the pasture ASAP - more for decreasing attraction to buzzards than for discouraging coyotes hanging around.
I don't necessarily shoot every one I see, but have killed a few along the way, either eating a dead calf (within 50 yards of my back door) or hanging around the cow herd.

You build a buzzard trap same as a crow trap, but instead of the ladder looking thing down the center, you just stretch a couple of pieces of fine wire (piano wire for example) .
They drop in to the bait, but can't get back out.
(For illustration purposes only of course, since they are a federally protected species) :cowboy:
http://www.crowbusters.com/crowtrap.htm

Latest posts