coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus":3q3r1p2y said:
longhornlover3498":3q3r1p2y said:
get a longhorn female. we used to keep a herd of 40+ polled pure bred maximizer cows and 2 bulls seprate from our longhorn crosses. they were great mommas but we lost about 6 calves one year to coyotes and wolves until some of our older females died of old age and we put a few pure bred LHs with them and that took care of that. :) we even saw one chasing a coyote that was after a heifers new born bull.
Nah I don't need a longhorn to protect the calves from the coyotes. You just need a good momma cow no matter what breed she is.

i tend to agree, a good momma cow is in order. beginner doesen't say where he is located, but if he's dealing with eastern coyotes, the eastern coyote is decidedly more agressive and less cowardly than the western variety. different control methods would be appropriate if that were the case....

tsmaxx47":1f3zw90s said:
Taurus":1f3zw90s said:
longhornlover3498":1f3zw90s said:
get a longhorn female. we used to keep a herd of 40+ polled pure bred maximizer cows and 2 bulls seprate from our longhorn crosses. they were great mommas but we lost about 6 calves one year to coyotes and wolves until some of our older females died of old age and we put a few pure bred LHs with them and that took care of that. :) we even saw one chasing a coyote that was after a heifers new born bull.
Nah I don't need a longhorn to protect the calves from the coyotes. You just need a good momma cow no matter what breed she is.

i tend to agree, a good momma cow is in order. beginner doesen't say where he is located, but if he's dealing with eastern coyotes, the eastern coyote is decidedly more agressive and less cowardly than the western variety. different control methods would be appropriate if that were the case....
SHE is located in montana.

We and several neighbors have lost calves to wolves this calving season, coyotes never seem to bother our cows though, but we are awfully hard on them as well. I agree with the posters that have stated that wild or lose domestic dogs are far more dangerous than coyotes, dogs just seem to get the thrill of seeing things run from them and will continue to maul. How close to a town or other ranch are you that it could be dogs? Some of the nicest family pets will be wild as soon as they leave the yard. Also don't rule out wolves as a cause if you are in a northern location.
longhorn, i believe that Taurus was refering to the OP :!: