coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Any recommendations of ways to get rid of coyotes? I have had a coyote castrate a calf. The calf had bite marks on it's hooves and legs too. It lived and was doing good. However, I found it today and the coyote got ahold of it again. It has lots of tissue damage in the groin area. I have 40 head of cattle and have about 12 calves so I am surprised that the coyote got that close again.

Does a jenny donkey help to keep the coyotes away?

theres a guy that has a jack he wants to get rid of in another thread.. LOL anyway I have 2 jack and a jenny and they cured my coyote problem. I used to loose 4 or 5 goats a year before I got them. I also know of another trick that works but will not post it publicly.

Does a jenny donkey help to keep the coyotes away?[/quote]

I've got a jenny in each pasture, and have not had any coyote problems. I would stay away from a jack though. I have heard of them killings calves by playing with them. I don't know if that is true, but why take the chance.

My wife wanted a mini horse so we got one and put her with the goats. Before we got her, we would see coyotes every night, after that no more yotes.

W-5":51f5e6an said:
I would stay away from a jack though. I have heard of them killings calves by playing with them. I don't know if that is true, but why take the chance.

It's true, just ask my cousin. Their jack was really good around the cows and calves until this spring. For whatever reason he started chasing the bull and it had to escape by going into their stock tank. When the calves started coming he was biting the mommas and keeping the calves separated from them. She asked me what to do and I told her to get rid of him. Of course, he's their sweet little pet so she opted to try castration. They kept him penned away for 30 days and last I heard he was getting along fine. I do keep waiting on that next email from her, tho.

Never had any problems with the coyotes here but it could be our dogs and overprotective cows and of course these coyotes knows I'm the coyote killer. The real question is why the momma cow do nothing? Especially when the coyote attacked same calf twice.

Taurus":1jolc0ys said:
The real question is why the momma cow do nothing? .
I'm inclined to agree. My cows are dog broke but they still won't tolerate a coyote or even one of my dogs chewing on a calf. You can maybe solve this particular coyote problem but it's bound to happen again if your cows aren't going to step up and handle serious business.

If I were me I would cull that calf's mother as I do not have any time with the cows with poor mothering ability. I won't waste any money on these guard donkeys to protect the bovines that is twice size and heavier than donkeys.

I don't like donkeys . I had a jack try to kill me and my horse while penning cows a few years ago . I had to rope him and tie him to a tree to finish the job . He would try to climb in the saddle with me . Theeth showing like a dog .Ive never witnessed a yote attacking a live calf . I've seen them eating calf poop but never saw an attack . But my cows are real protective .

The mother cow is very protective. She has stayed with the calf, and they are always together. I think he must be slipping up when she is asleep or something. The vet checked the calf today. Calf has several puncture wounds, and lots of tissue is gone. I guess the coyote could smell the decaying tissue of where she got him the first time.

Aren't donkeys faster running after the coyotes than cows? Most of my cows will watch the coyote, and a couple might start running.

Still I would questioning her mothering ability, especially after had her calf being attacked by a coyote twice. But to solve this problem is get a rifle.... .243 would be your good choice.

Well, her mothering ability may be a problem or not. If there are 2 or more coyotes working together, she's going to have to be one heck of a mama to keep them all away....

get a longhorn female. we used to keep a herd of 40+ polled pure bred maximizer cows and 2 bulls seprate from our longhorn crosses. they were great mommas but we lost about 6 calves one year to coyotes and wolves until some of our older females died of old age and we put a few pure bred LHs with them and that took care of that. :) we even saw one chasing a coyote that was after a heifers new born bull.

we havent had to much trouble with coyotes till this year,now they seem to be after small calves,and we had a good winter so i dont know why it changed, :???:

still learning":2moaaq4f said:
Any recommendations of ways to get rid of coyotes? I have had a coyote castrate a calf. The calf had bite marks on it's hooves and legs too. It lived and was doing good. However, I found it today and the coyote got ahold of it again. It has lots of tissue damage in the groin area. I have 40 head of cattle and have about 12 calves so I am surprised that the coyote got that close again.

Does a jenny donkey help to keep the coyotes away?

Did you see the yote's as they get blamed for a lot of Fido's work.
Yote's usually show up and clean up Rover's work.
Coyote is a coward and isn't taking any chances he is getting hurt, dog is a whole nuther story.

Caustic Burno":3pgrmvov said:
Did you see the yote's as they get blamed for a lot of Fido's work.
Yote's usually show up and clean up Rover's work.
Coyote is a coward and isn't taking any chances he is getting hurt, dog is a whole nuther story.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

I bought a jack and a jenny to run with the herd. I got rib of the jack after just a few months. I saw him break a leg of a calf. That left me with the jenny that gave birth about eight months later. The offspring was a male and I neutered him. When he was 8 to 10 months old I saw him abusing calves by chasing them and by picking the calves up by the neck. I gave the donkeys away and I doubt that I will ever have any donkeys again.

longhornlover3498":1iax9xkx said:
get a longhorn female. we used to keep a herd of 40+ polled pure bred maximizer cows and 2 bulls seprate from our longhorn crosses. they were great mommas but we lost about 6 calves one year to coyotes and wolves until some of our older females died of old age and we put a few pure bred LHs with them and that took care of that. :) we even saw one chasing a coyote that was after a heifers new born bull.
Nah I don't need a longhorn to protect the calves from the coyotes. You just need a good momma cow no matter what breed she is.

agmantoo":1hzamm1y said:
I bought a jack and a jenny to run with the herd. I got rib of the jack after just a few months. I saw him break a leg of a calf. That left me with the jenny that gave birth about eight months later. The offspring was a male and I neutered him. When he was 8 to 10 months old I saw him abusing calves by chasing them and by picking the calves up by the neck. I gave the donkeys away and I doubt that I will ever have any donkeys again.
My grandpa used to have two donkeys (one jack and one gelding) to run with the cattle. The jack was sold quickly and the gelding ended up being a pen buddy for the steers.

Latest posts