Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm surrounded by howls and yips before the train goes by on the back of my home farm. Had coyotes in the yard in bright daylight. They drive my two Pyrenees nuts when they start singing. We have plenty here, lots of red fox too.

Our red fox almost became a thing of the past when the yotes got thick. But now I see them more often.
I live across the field from a small (10-12 houses) unincorporated village. Lots of cats, lots of places for foxes to den, may be why I see so many, they may not be as thick away from "town". The houses may keep the coyotes pushed back for a distance, but I doubt it deters them very much after dark.

Good job!
If you have good momma cows, coyotes either have to be sick or starving to mess with health live calves.
But coyotes "good and bad" can all carry diseases that affect cattle. Kill them all.
Humans carry diseases that can affect me, but I don't "kill them all." Just saying, unless an animal is actually causing trouble, it should be allowed to live its life, like I assume you are being allowed to live yours.

Humans carry diseases that can affect me, but I don't "kill them all." Just saying! Unless an animal is actually causing trouble, it should be allowed to live its life, like I assume you are being allowed to live yours.

Humans carry diseases that can affect me, but I don't "kill them all." Just saying, unless an animal is actually causing trouble, it should be allowed to live its life, like I assume you are being allowed to live yours.
If something is affecting the wellbeing of my cattle it needs to be removed. Healthy pregnant cows pay bills, open ones do not.
We vaccinate against viruses trying to eliminate them from causing harm to our cows it's no different.

There is a difference between thinning them out to balance wild life habitation and "killing them all." Took out a couple big females 6 or 8 years ago and another one this winter and that seems to have kept our local population under control.
I've been seeing an increase in the number of pheasants here this spring.

Last edited:
Here coyotes are thick, foxes are becoming common again too.
We haven't had any predation problems from coyotes for several years, but in the past they have been a problem and thus are always a concern. They are opportunistic and given half a chance will take a young calf. They run in groups here and are usually not solitary.
We have to watch our dogs close especially one male as they are territorial and will go after a group of coyotes even though they are usually outnumbered.

We've had a few on our property this winter, but oddly enough they all disappeared this spring and some of the other locals noticed this as well. The quail and cottontails are back and even jackrabbits now.

Latest posts