Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I'm posting this because it pertains to a conversation that started about coyotes in another thread a few weeks ago. While I was walking back to the house with the mail this morning, I saw a headline in our local paper that read " Coyotes on the prowl in Clark." I was thinking all the way to house that that should be an informative ground breaking article. For us rural folks they have been a presence/destructive nuisance for 30 years give or take a few. Apparently now they are populating in town, enough to be getting the attention of folks there. The extension agent was interviewed and told about how they could predate on young calves and small animals. He recommended putting pets indoors at night, because they were a food source for coyotes. I mentioned to my wife that probably some of the well meaning town folk that fuss about the mean ol' farmers that killed coyotes because they think they kill their livestock, have probably seen coyotes in their yards. Maybe the perceived threat has become a little more real when Fluffy and Spot are possibly in danger of becoming predator food.

We have predator hunts a few times a year in my county and have been keeping them at bay but 3 weeks ago I was in my pasture around 10pm and heard a big pack howling and yipping so appears we need to go full force on them again. I am going to start trapping as well. Since coyotes are extremely scent sensitive when it comes to humans I go get a bunch of different soaps and such from the dollar store and put them all around my pastures borders hoping to keep them Leary of going near the pastures

Coyotes get a bad wrap fluffy is in a lot more danger than a calf.
A yote is an opportunist along with being a coward. Your calves are in greater danger from Rover that kills for fun and Mr Coyote comes by to dine at Lubys.
The coyote wants to grab his meal and run that makes poultry and pets on the menu not something guarded by a 1200 pound mom.
You can see coyotes almost any evening in the pastures, they don't bother calves .

My hereford bull has been the gentlest bull I have ever been around, timid and shy. Never aggressive with me or the kids. The one and only time I have seen him at full attention ready to charge was last night was at the sight and smell of a coyote, and that was while over a pile of cubes. Makes me think he has experience with them. All of my cows are calving right now. I have seen packs of them this month in the morning and evenings. Not normal, not sure if it is coinciding with all of the deer having fawns at their side.

Same thing happens every year the pups have left the den and are out with the parents.
Lot of those pups will pay the stupid tax with their life.
The coyote pup has a mortality rate of 70 to 80%.

Caustic Burno":3puv8dnu said:
A yote is an opportunist along with being a coward. Your calves are in greater danger from Rover that kills for fun and Mr Coyote comes by to dine at Lubys.
The coyote wants to grab his meal and run that makes poultry and pets on the menu not something guarded by a 1200 pound mom.
You can see coyotes almost any evening in the pastures, they don't bother calves .
That's right...check one out,,their a EBT card carrier.the original welfare recipeint :cowboy:

Caustic Burno":1i6h1o1p said:

I would be more likely to agree with your statement that coyotes don't bother calves, based on my more recent experience with cows and calves, but years ago we did have some coyote predation on young calves. I have heard of others around here having issues too. I have often wondered if each herd of cattle is different. At the time we having the most trouble, we had registered Charolais. The first instance was a heifer had a calf and it was up and nursing, next morning the calf was pretty much a gutted carcass. Had two more heifers due, so we put them in the barn, after two or three days of calving turned them out, they were both killed within a day or two as well. I think you are right about the cow guarding the calf , that is the difference maker, those heifers probably didn't stay close enough to their calves. I think it was sometime after those instances I watch the cows come over the hill flying and put a coyote under the fence. In recent years haven't had any trouble with them getting calves, but they put me out of the sheep and goat business. The only predation issue of calves that we have had in recent times have been by buzzards.
It used to be very common to see dogs running through the country, but since the coyotes have been around, hardly ever see any dogs running through.

Hook2.0":3txmvqpt said:
We recently turned a handful of goats out on a place to eat the weeds in the swamp area. They've all gone missing and we've found 1/2 of the carcasses. Interestingly, the last couple of goats we turned out, a yote came running when he heard them calling.

Goats are fast food for yotes, bobcats and Fido.
Neighbor down the road raises goats field fenced it to keep canine out.
His predation rate stayed nearly the same to bobcat.

Caustic Burno":zmxwbndi said:

If your not running sheep or goats and your cattle got a little ear. Youve got nothing to worry about from the coyote.

https://youtu.be/4D-456BT0A8

He sounds better doing the howl,, then they do....train runs through here at night,,every yote in the county starts howling...makes the hair on your neck raise up...

ALACOWMAN":1qz2ekxn said:
But you don't actually know for sure,it was coyotes that did it...

I feel very certain it was coyotes, I don't know of any other animal that could or would do that specific way. If it was domestic dogs they would have been more maimed up something awful, had that happen to several goats when I was a child.
My mother saw a coyote get a lamb and carry it off in the evening while it was still daylight, we tried about every kind of prevention possible from electric fence to guard dogs and donkeys. The guard animals worked ok as long as they stayed with the sheep.

callmefence":oz0l62ak said:
Caustic Burno":oz0l62ak said:

If your not running sheep or goats and your cattle got a little ear. Youve got nothing to worry about from the coyote.

https://youtu.be/4D-456BT0A8

I haven't had any coyote predations, since we got rid of the sheep and goats, also the cows are now Angus and Hereford, some with a little ear.

One thing I found out early on,you don't want a regular yard dog with you around Brahman cattle... They'll go through you,,to run that dog outa their comfort zone...dog ran behind me to get away.had to dive outa the way before I got freight trained...

Ky hills":17xljdxv said:
Caustic Burno":17xljdxv said:

I would be more likely to agree with your statement that coyotes don't bother calves, based on my more recent experience with cows and calves, but years ago we did have some coyote predation on young calves. I have heard of others around here having issues too. I have often wondered if each herd of cattle is different. At the time we having the most trouble, we had registered Charolais. The first instance was a heifer had a calf and it was up and nursing, next morning the calf was pretty much a gutted carcass. Had two more heifers due, so we put them in the barn, after two or three days of calving turned them out, they were both killed within a day or two as well. I think you are right about the cow guarding the calf , that is the difference maker, those heifers probably didn't stay close enough to their calves. I think it was sometime after those instances I watch the cows come over the hill flying and put a coyote under the fence. In recent years haven't had any trouble with them getting calves, but they put me out of the sheep and goat business. The only predation issue of calves that we have had in recent times have been by buzzards.
It used to be very common to see dogs running through the country, but since the coyotes have been around, hardly ever see any dogs running through.
I at one time had a vendetta against yotes. A farm we had in ca central valley I have seen them trying to rip the calves while be born from the cow. Here I see them pass through the pastures, cows go on alert and the yotes just keep moving. Not unusual to hear several sizeable packs at the same time around here. No predation from them yet, and it;s been almost 18 years on this one farm.

I've been around coyotes a lot. They come out and eat mice and rats when I am mowing the pastures. They've never bothered my calves. I would have declared war.

Grandfather had a cow and calf penned up in the barn. Coyotes came in to get the calf, the cow wound up stomping the coyotes but killed her calf in the process. It was a bad deal, I remember that one. One time it was either coyotes or dogs that ran some young ones off the edges of the drop offs in the ravines, after they broke the legs falling off the "cliff", they were eaten alive.

backhoeboogie":21wwta1p said:
I've been around coyotes a lot. They come out and eat mice and rats when I am mowing the pastures. They've never bothered my calves. I would have declared war.
My dog likes to run them out the brush when I ride the pastures on ATV. I kill any I ever see. I don't go as far as the guys on the deer lease in east Tx. They would ride down all the logging roads and throw chunks of raw chicken meat with trebble hooks in the middle of it. It would rip the intestines of the coyote or whatever else ate it and they would die a slow miserable death. That's just not a very selective way of taking them out.

Latest posts