coyotes killing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

kjones

Reaction score
OK so here's my question. How large of an animal do you think a coyote, or a couple of them could kill. I've been gone during the week for the past month. I came home this Friday to find one of my cattle dead. My wife says it happened a few days ago, and has seen coyotes feeding on it. I don't know how much it weighed, but it was about fifteen months old. I am wondering of they killed it, or if it died from some other reason, and they are just eating it. Opinions?

My guess is that the coyotes are feeding on it, and something else cause it to go down. I've got coyotes all over me and haven't lost the first calf to them. Can't imagine them taking down something that big.

Coyotes around here stay clear of the cows. Probably will never know what killed the animal, were you able to examine the carcass? Dmc

I'm with everyone else, the cow died and the coyotes ate it! Coyotes get blamed for a lot of things that a pack of dogs did. I don't get my shorts tied up in a knot with either one of them unless I see three or more dogs running together. Ole fido seems like he's a pretty good ole dog until he starts running with several of his buddies. For some reason, they seem to start having a undesirable attitude. Thus, 1Cor, 15-33 NIV explains this mystery, "do not be misled; bad company corrupts good character." I think this verse explains why both dogs and the human race are not as nice as they seem to be sometimes.

Coyotes are environmentally friendly as they eleminate mice and rats. This is good because the mice and rats are the ones that chew up stuff like baler twine (while it is still on the bale)and the wiring on your favorite old pickup wiring harness.

I still find it hard to resist popping an ole coyote when the opportunity arises. From what I hear, there may only be one thing more exciting than calling a coyote in (with a mouth call of course) and that would be getting too close to a pig trap with your left ear, right Cow_town?

Fly-guy":mar5n7bq said:
I'm with everyone else, the cow died and the coyotes ate it! Coyotes get blamed for a lot of things that a pack of dogs did. I don't get my shorts tied up in a not with either one of them unless I see three or more dogs running together. Ole fido seems like he's a pretty good ole dog until he starts running with several of his buddies. For some reason, they seem to start having a undesirable attitude. Thus, 1Cor, 15-33 NIV explains this mystery, "do not be misled; bad company corrupts good character." I think this verse explains why both dogs and the human race are not as nice as they seem to be sometimes.

Coyotes are environmentally friendly as they eleminate mice and rats. This is good because the mice and rats are the ones that chew up stuff like baler twine (while it is still on the bale)and the wiring on your favorite old pickup wiring harness.

I still find it hard to resist popping an ole coyote when the opportunity arises. From what I hear, there may only be one thing more exciting that calling a coyote in (with a mouth call of course) and that would be getting too close to a pig trap with your left ear, right Cow_town?

Your right about that one Fly. Glad to still have this ole ear. Its another one of those " dont try this at home " things.

I agree with you, I'm not like alot of others on here who shoot each and every coyote I see. I would like to think they help by getting the orphaned piglets that I dont get. I like a hide every now and then, so I do shoot one occassionally.

kjones":23ipmd8d said:
OK so here's my question. How large of an animal do you think a coyote, or a couple of them could kill. I've been gone during the week for the past month. I came home this Friday to find one of my cattle dead. My wife says it happened a few days ago, and has seen coyotes feeding on it. I don't know how much it weighed, but it was about fifteen months old. I am wondering of they killed it, or if it died from some other reason, and they are just eating it. Opinions?

Coyotes are a little different everywhere in what they eat. Some peopel have trouble with coyotes taking baby claves and other never have any trouble. But I think it's safe to say that if coyotes killed your 15 mo old it was probably gunna die before long anyway. :lol:

Susie David":3mow1ppq said:
Coyotes around here stay clear of the cows. Probably will never know what killed the animal, were you able to examine the carcass? Dmc

I haven't had a chance to look it over yet, I just got home last night. I am going to go take care of it this morning. With out looking at it, I'm inclined to think it died from something else. I had two coyotes in the field about three months ago, and the cows, horses, and coyotes never seemed to pay any attention to one another. Any way I'll see what I can find out.

kjones":4o612zd8 said:

Coyotes are cowards and opportunist, if you loseing cattle to predators 9 time out of 10 its dogs. A dog has a huge range.
Dog kills and Coyote are quit different as well as there sign.
Lots of things get blamed on the cowardly coyote when your dog along with your neighbors went six miles through the woods and killed your neighbors cattle.
Then everyone says couldn't have been my dog he is asleep on the porch after working the night shift in someones pasture.
One dog will stay at home two or more are looking for an evening of entertainment.

We've never had any trouble with coytes and cattle either, but there are farmers about 40 miles north of us that claim different. They say they've seen coyotes grab hold of a calf's tongue as the cow is giving birth and injure the calf so it can't nurse, and dies. Sounds kind of far-fetched to me, but I wondered if anyone else had heard any similar tales.

mom to 4":27jd7h2x said:
We've never had any trouble with coytes and cattle either, but there are farmers about 40 miles north of us that claim different. They say they've seen coyotes grab hold of a calf's tongue as the cow is giving birth and injure the calf so it can't nurse, and dies. Sounds kind of far-fetched to me, but I wondered if anyone else had heard any similar tales.

Never heard such. That is beyond far fetched. If a coyote got a hold of a newborn's tongue, they'd take the newborn then.

I know I'm new here...but I have to say that sometimes coyotes do attack. I have a bull....and I guess it has alot to do with size....when he was about 8 months old, he was attack by a pack of them. My father-in-law heard the racket out in the pasture and shot at the pack. He is alive and well today but lost both ears to that episode. This is probably one in a thousand chance of happening...but it can. This happened in Hood County....Cresson, Tx.
Have a good weekend!

I went out and disposed of what was left of the cow. It's been eaten on too much to get any idea of what it died from. I've had a few people ask if I thought it could have been a cougar. I doubt it. I have never heard of any around my place, but you never know. There is a first time for every thing. I just hope not.

I have seen coyotes stalk our cows and calves trying to catch a calf away from the herd. We worry about newborns when the momma's hide them away from the herd. After a few days the momma usually brings them back into the herd and they are safe then.

We have lost calves to coyotes before. It's been several years ago. The cow was laying down to have its calf and a pack of them got on her. The reason we know it was coyotes is because we drove up as they were attacking. The calf was dead and we had to shoot the cow. Aw man what a sight to see,it was gross.

The largest animal that I have see a coyote take is a large mule deer buck. I would guess that it weighed about 240lbs. I have never seen a coyote take a cow but we do lose a newborn calf every once in awile. Usually turns out to be an old or injured coyote that can't hunt very well.