Coyotes killed a newborn calf *graphic pic*

Help Support CattleToday:

Chapin81

Reaction score
we had a calf that was born Sunday between 8pm-6am which was found dead Monday AM. This is the 2nd time it's happened in 3 months. This morning around 10am a coyote was spotted at the edge of our ranch, which we assume was the same
Coyote that ate the calf.

We also had a dead calf that was found that same morning. He was born Sunday early afternoon, he nursed and no problems. I'm thinking botulism or some sort of clostridium bacteria. 😢 nice looking calves. We usually carry 12 gauge shotguns But they are useless at long range. I did purchased a .223 Browning Xbolt today. I was told We'd be able to lay them out with no problem. 🤞

Attachments

• 3312D6E3-4681-4D8D-A30D-C90ECA4BFDE9.jpeg
    3312D6E3-4681-4D8D-A30D-C90ECA4BFDE9.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 51
  • B7B22B27-BEF7-4BC5-B4E3-FE6B5175A929.jpeg
    B7B22B27-BEF7-4BC5-B4E3-FE6B5175A929.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 49
  • D8622C0D-DE27-4E43-9AA1-726AF90AA736.jpeg
    D8622C0D-DE27-4E43-9AA1-726AF90AA736.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 51
I guess I don't understand why scavengers seem to always get blamed for an unwitnessed kill. Did the cow not defend the calf? All mine will bow up to the yard dogs if they get too close to the fence for the first two weeks…
It's not the first time it happened, what else could it be? There was one coyote hanging around the edge of our property this morning. 2 months ago a pair came close to the house and killed 3 chickens. We got one the other ran away. 🤷‍♂️ The herd is too far away for anyone to hear the commotiom where they are currently grazing the cow is a first timer and I've had a couple of them that they will be culled bad mommas.

This story gives me pause. If D8622COD is the calf there is no indication the calf died violently as there is no attack marks on the nose, ears,
or tail, which in all probability a canine would use to bring down a prey. 3312D6E3 shows partially eaten carcass in what appears to be
undisturbed grass. So from the photos it would appear the calf was dead before any predator had access to the carcass. Can I assume this
incident took place in Guatemala? If so I would think there are other predators even more capable of taking down a calf but none, including
a coyote that could do it without making a mark. At the moment I am unaware of the presence of coyotes in Guatemala so I guess I am in
the position of doing some research in that regard .

Coyotes in Guatemala? Didn't know they range that far south. Figured jaguar would be a bigger problem there.
Not really they are actually
Located further north. Jaguars maybe roamed those parts years ago. But due to large land being cleared their presence has dropped.

This story gives me pause. If D8622COD is the calf there is no indication the calf died violently as there is no attack marks on the nose, ears,
or tail, which in all probability a canine would use to bring down a prey. 3312D6E3 shows partially eaten carcass in what appears to be
undisturbed grass. So from the photos it would appear the calf was dead before any predator had access to the carcass. Can I assume this
incident took place in Guatemala? If so I would think there are other predators even more capable of taking down a calf but none, including
a coyote that could do it without making a mark. At the moment I am unaware of the presence of coyotes in Guatemala so I guess I am in
the position of doing some research in that regard .
What you mention about the calf possibly being dead makes a lot of sense! The lack of marks and no fight also makes sense.
Here's a pic of another calf that was mauled. I value your input. What your saying makes sense.

Attachments

• 4261E04E-17EA-4E44-BCE4-24A84F8F9CF0.jpeg
    4261E04E-17EA-4E44-BCE4-24A84F8F9CF0.jpeg
    496.9 KB · Views: 22
It's not the first time it happened, what else could it be? There was one coyote hanging around the edge of our property this morning. 2 months ago a pair came close to the house and killed 3 chickens. We got one the other ran away. 🤷‍♂️ The herd is too far away for anyone to hear the commotiom where they are currently grazing the cow is a first timer and I've had a couple of them that they will be culled bad mommas.
Chickens, cats, goat kids-I'll buy that. This calf pictured was very "clean" to have been attacked and killed, IMHO

they are predators not scavengers. that is why.
Actually, they are first and foremast scavengers.
I don't know what killed the calf in the picture, but it wasn't coyotes. Coyotes kill larger prey by basically eating them alive. There would be bite marks all over the face if it have been killed by coyotes,

What you mention about the calf possibly being dead makes a lot of sense! The lack of marks and no fight also makes sense.
Here's a pic of another calf that was mauled. I value your input. What your saying makes sense.
Not much to say about that. Just an animal that has its guts and haunches eaten and not much else. Can't see/identify the head, nose, neck, or back, and the legs show nothing as far as I can see.

here's a pic of the "coyote" we killed last time. Unless this is a different breed please correct me. But to me it looks like a coyote. Btw this is the one that ate the chickens last time. 129BDA53-FEAD-4DAA-AD5F-6D7018F4903C.jpeg

Latest posts