Coyotes in Washington Area

Help Support CattleToday:

mdmdogs3":mc69jm6s said:
milesvb":mc69jm6s said:
mdmdogs3":mc69jm6s said:
but oooooh when a WOLF or cat comes by - the dogs are in their houses with their tails tucked!

Wolves in Arkansas?

yep - we had lost a number of calves that year and my Dad said the kills didn't look like any coyote kills he had seen before -
somebody shot it (about 1/2 mile from here) and it was as big as a great dane! - :shock: :shock: :shock:

I saw a wolf cutting across my pasture one time in west arkansas. I have also heard of mexican wolves interbreeding with the yotes. :shock: :cboy:

mdmdogs3":3c3si963 said:
milesvb":3c3si963 said:
mdmdogs3":3c3si963 said:
but oooooh when a WOLF or cat comes by - the dogs are in their houses with their tails tucked!

Wolves in Arkansas?

yep - we had lost a number of calves that year and my Dad said the kills didn't look like any coyote kills he had seen before -
somebody shot it (about 1/2 mile from here) and it was as big as a great dane! - :shock: :shock: :shock:

That rascal must have had a real serious case of wonderlust.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... pecies.gif

Are you sure it wasn't a black panther that got those calves?

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":c40vwojk said:
mdmdogs3":c40vwojk said:
milesvb":c40vwojk said:
mdmdogs3":c40vwojk said:

Wolves in Arkansas?

I saw a wolf cutting across my pasture one time in west arkansas. I have also heard of mexican wolves interbreeding with the yotes. :shock: :cboy:

I think the odds would be closer to somebody's malemute crossbred or even a coyote/dog hybrid being the animal in question. Or maybe security is getting lax at the zoo. I've trapped a few male coyotes that if they were greyer in color would really make me do a double take. The biggest now resides as a tanned pelt. He looked HUGE but didn't even clear 35 lbs.

Coyote as big as a great dane is cow flop, I begining to believe most of yall could be run through the woods after dark with a duck call and a flashlight screaming like a bunch of school girls scared to death.
Next thing you know someone will swear a sabre tooth tiger is on the loose.
Ya'll need to start takin pictures on a set of scales of these world class mutant beast.

I wanted to find out how far your are from Charlotte NC. I really would like to find some new areas to hunt coyoyes and other predators.
Medic24":78n2w9bv said:
Willing to pay a fair bounty on the suckers around here.......

I have had nothing but troubles for a number of years from them....my partner down the road is losing a large number of newborn calves to yotes or dogs of late, and even tho they have killed seven in the past few weeks, it's still not enough.

Had a bonafide attack by a yote biting 3 ppl in Asheville this past week... you can check the local papers for the info!!

I found it hard to believe at first...but there it was in black and white.

I hate little more in this world besides them. :mad:
:lol: :lol:

I wanted to find out how far your are from Charlotte NC. I really would like to find some new areas to hunt coyoyes and other predators. If you are not too far from me I feel that we both can benifit from your problem.
Thanks for your time and I hope to hear from you soon.
Shawn
Medic24":3m3at5a9 said:
Willing to pay a fair bounty on the suckers around here.......

I have had nothing but troubles for a number of years from them....my partner down the road is losing a large number of newborn calves to yotes or dogs of late, and even tho they have killed seven in the past few weeks, it's still not enough.

Had a bonafide attack by a yote biting 3 ppl in Asheville this past week... you can check the local papers for the info!!

I found it hard to believe at first...but there it was in black and white.

I hate little more in this world besides them. :mad:
:lol: :lol:

This part of the Country is covered over in Coyotes.As far as Coyotes taking out baby calves, maybe in packs they do. But the most I've ever seen together is 3, and usually Coyotes are loners when it comes to hunting.
You may blame calves being lost to em' but the single most killer of calves is your domestic dog, and in some areas Vultures.All this propaganda of the yotes doing in calves is a bunch of trash.

Crowderfarms":13uko1hk said:
This part of the Country is covered over in Coyotes.As far as Coyotes taking out baby calves, maybe in packs they do. But the most I've ever seen together is 3, and usually Coyotes are loners when it comes to hunting.
You may blame calves being lost to em' but the single most killer of calves is your domestic dog, and in some areas Vultures.All this propaganda of the yotes doing in calves is a bunch of trash.
Don't know about where you live Crowder but here I witnessed 4 yotes killin a calf on my friends place. Just so happens he had his 30/06 in the truck and shot one before the others ran. Walked up to it and yup it was a coyote. Not a yote/dog cross either just a plain old small coyote. As I said one of four we watched kill his calf.

Crowderfarms":1242x4wz said:

Got to disagree with you there, Crowder. I've personally come across coyotes killing calves (too late to save the calf) and coyotes sneaking up on calves to kill them. The ranch I grew up on had no domestic dogs wandering on it as it was too far removed from any type of population. Coyotes DO kill calves!

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":y5dxqzxy said:
Crowderfarms":y5dxqzxy said:
Don't know about where you live Crowder but here I witnessed 4 yotes killin a calf on my friends place. Just so happens he had his 30/06 in the truck and shot one before the others ran. Walked up to it and yup it was a coyote. Not a yote/dog cross either just a plain old small coyote. As I said one of four we watched kill his calf.
MHP, Like I said, maybe in Packs. Here a Coy Dog (1/2 Dog 1/2 Coyote) is more troublesome than the yotes.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":logtue1o said:
Not sure I'd call 4 yotes a pack but I do agree coydogs are more trouble than a coyote. Coydog = No fear of man.
I've got a big trap made from Hog Panels, and the first time I set it, came up with a Coy dog.He hung his canines in the panel trying to get me, stuck the .22 barrel in his mouth and lights out.Have not caught anymore, but have seen a few.I think I'm going to try some snares.

msscamp":277f8kr8 said:
Crowderfarms":277f8kr8 said:

Got to disagree with you there, Crowder. I've personally come across coyotes killing calves (too late to save the calf) and coyotes sneaking up on calves to kill them. The ranch I grew up on had no domestic dogs wandering on it as it was too far removed from any type of population. Coyotes DO kill calves!

A yote is an crowardly oportunist(sp) domestic dogs do a heck of a lot of killing just killing and yotes find an easy meal. Old fido and his buddies that live 7 miles away are workin the night shift on your place sleeping on the porch on days. I not saying a yote never killed a calf but they get balamed for lot they don't do besides the plack panthers African lions and dingos . Need to learn your predators there attack methods as well as there tracks, I have found yotes eating on a dead calf yes but there were dog tracks there also. The dog killed the calf had its fun and went on to its next destructive adventure. The killing machine is somebodies pet they say would never do that. I have caught a pile of dogs through the years in traps nearest subdivision 7 miles away.

msscamp":1r15pnod said:
Crowderfarms":1r15pnod said:

Msscamp, I dont doubt that they have strength in numbers. they are like some people. They are not a problem, unless you get a few of them together.Then you might have a problem.

Don't see many yotes runnin alone though,that's the problem. Been carrying the shotgun with me in the pasture when i work out there. Filled with 3 inch buck 4 loads.That should work. ;-)

Caustic Burno":7zb8imgw said:
msscamp":7zb8imgw said:
Crowderfarms":7zb8imgw said:

A yote is an crowardly oportunist(sp) domestic dogs do a heck of a lot of killing just killing and yotes find an easy meal. Old fido and his buddies that live 7 miles away are workin the night shift on your place sleeping on the porch on days. I not saying a yote never killed a calf but they get balamed for lot they don't do besides the plack panthers African lions and dingos . Need to learn your predators there attack methods as well as there tracks, I have found yotes eating on a dead calf yes but there were dog tracks there also. The dog killed the calf had its fun and went on to its next destructive adventure. The killing machine is somebodies pet they say would never do that. I have caught a pile of dogs through the years in traps nearest subdivision 7 miles away.

I realize that, and we had a slight problem with stray dogs on the home place (a well-placed bullet under their belly took care of most of them, for the rest the bullet was a bit higher), but our ranch was 10 miles from the nearest town, a good 5-7 miles from the nearest neighbor that had a dog and where the cattle ran in the spring during calving was a good 10-15 miles from the nearest neighbor. The summer and early fall pastures were at least 25 miles nearest house and never, ever in all the time I spent in those hills did I ever see anything but coyotes, an occasional fox and, on one occasion, the panther. Wyoming is not a highly populated state, hell Dallas or Houston has a higher population than the entire state of Wyoming does, we don't have subdivisions, we don't even have cities - we have small, medium and big towns. You just couldn't resist the black panther poke could you? :lol: :lol: :lol: That's ok, I can take the heat - I know what I saw - it was too close for me to mistake it for anything other than what it was. As far as attack patterns, that's something I need a lot of work on - and I'll be the first to admit it. Any suggestions on how to remedy that situation? I enjoy learning, especially when it comes to cattle.

Dog Predation - Description
Domestic dogs can be a serious problem where they are permitted to run at large, particularly near urban areas. True feral dogs and coydogs (coyote-dog hybrids) are also a problem but are far less common.
Domestic dogs do not normally kill for food and their attacks usually lead to indiscriminate mutilation of prey. When they do feed, they tend to leave torn, ragged tissue and splintered bones much like coyotes do.
As a rule, domestic dogs feed very little on their prey. Some individual dogs, including pets, have the instinctive ability to kill effectively, whether or not they feed and some become adept through repeated killing. True feral dogs are more likely to kill for food. Feral dogs and coydogs are also more likely to kill in a manner similar to coyotes, possibly as a result of experience in killing for food.
Both domestic and feral dogs often range in packs and do extensive damage once they begin to attack livestock. Dog packs often harass livestock and persist in chasing injured animals, often for several hours. Careful searching where this occurs often reveals many attack sites with tracks, hair or wool and pieces of skin widely scattered. Fences damaged by livestock attempting to escape, exhaustion, injuries, weight loss, loss of young and abortion are some common consequences of such attacks. Sheep and goats are especially vulnerable. They may drown in streams or reservoirs while trying to escape, or they may "pile up" and suffocate in fence corners, gullies and sheds. Many more may be injured or killed in this manner than from dog bites.
Livestock proximity to urban areas, limited enforcement of leash laws and tagging regulations and estrous female dogs at large are major factors that encourage dog damage problems. Because dogs vary in size and cause diverse injuries, size and spacing between the canine teeth are less useful for confirming the species responsible. Tooth punctures often are not clear where skin and muscle are torn on prey animals.
Dog tracks are also highly variable because of size and weight differences. However, dog tracks are typically more round and show more prominent nail marks than coyote tracks and are larger than fox tracks. In contrast to coyote tracks, a dog's rear tracks normally are slightly to one side of the front tracks. Also, canine tracks made at the same time and location that vary widely in size suggest dog predation, especially near urban areas where stray dogs may range.

Hog Predation - Description
In some areas, domestic or wild hogs (Russian boar, domestic hogs gone wild, and their crosses) prey on poultry and livestock. This occurs more often during droughts or other periods when mast (acorns, etc.) and other foods are scarce. Hogs will also feed readily on carrion but some hogs become highly efficient predators. Hog predation on livestock usually occurs on lambing or calving grounds, perhaps partially because of the prevalence of afterbirth. Occasionally, adult animals giving birth are fed upon and killed by hogs.
Young and small animals are often entirely consumed by hogs and the only evidence may be tracks and blood where feeding occurred. Missing young and their mothers with full udders may indicate such predation, particularly where this is frequent and no other causes for loss can be found.
Hogs feed on carcasses much like bears do although they are not as proficient in skinning them out. They may consume some parts that bears do not, such as the rumen and its contents. Since hogs commonly root up soil and vegetation their presence is usually evident and their tracks are distinctive

Evaluating Predation by Coyotes

In attacks on adult sheep and goats, coyotes typically bite the throat just behind the jaw and below the ear, although repeated bites made while shifting their hold may obscure the initial tooth punctures. Death commonly results from suffocation and shock; blood loss is usually a secondary cause of death. On small prey such as young lambs and kids, coyotes may kill by biting the head, neck or back, causing massive tissue and bone damage.

Thank you, Caustic! I appreciate you posting that article very much. Obviously I can't go back and check tracks, but I am relatively certain that there were very few pieces and parts scattered around and there was no damage to the fences, but most of our pastures were a full section in size, too. That probably played a large role in the overall scenario. It still kind of strikes me as being odd that I could spend every day, almost all day in the pastures and not see a dog - but feral dogs would also avoid people. I don't know - looking at it from your perspective and in light of the article you posted I could very well be wrong in my initial thoughts.

Latest posts