Coyote?

Help Support CattleToday:

GRTiger85

Reaction score
Anybody ever found a calf with its tongue bitten off? Had a heifer that calved early this morning probably just before daylight. When I found it heifer was standing over calf and it just looked like it had been stillborn, she had cleaned it off. But went to move it and noticed it had a bite taken out of its bottom lip, inspected further and its tongue had been clean bitten off. Only thing I can think of is coyote came along while she was down having it and took a bite out, she got up and ran it off but the damage was done? No other marks of calf and it died right where she pushed it out, never got up. Guessing it drowned in its own blood, happened right by the house at that. Thoughts?? Been a rough calving season for me

Could have been.

I had a neighbor's dog try to do the same with one of my cows, it clamped down on the cow's face while it's buddy grabbed the cow's tail. Fortunately a neighbor got to them before I did (with my gun).

Sounds an awful lot like a black buzzard. Could also be a dog. Coyotes are generally too timid to approach a cow unless they're sure it's dead.

Lazy M":2g1498qx said:
Sounds an awful lot like a black buzzard. Could also be a dog. Coyotes are generally too timid to approach a cow unless they're sure it's dead.

:nod:
I'm thinking more likely dog or Black Vulture as well.

We had a coyote kill a newborn calf. Bit it in the lip and through the nose the cow ran into the barn without protecting the calf. The calf died of shock and we culled the cow for being a bad mom. She was old and tired of being a mom anyhow.

I have found that most coyotes are predators of opportunity and are blamed in slot of instances in which they shouldn't be. Here we've had calves killed by dogs, black headed vultures, but rarely a coyote. Seems like here coyotes may sneak in and clean up the mess, but are rarely the cause of it. Black headed vultures are another story, last yr we lost two cows while they were calving due to them, luckily the law is no longer enforced here as far as them being a protected species, just sad that so much damage had to be done before it was made that way.

Im going with coyote, happened before the sun came up so I know it wasn't a buzzard. Could of been a dog but there are not any within several miles of us. Ive lost them this year just about every way possible so coyote wouldnt surprise me...

We have plenty of coyotes UP here but they are so timid that the rarely come around the cows. Never had any issues with them.

Wolves on the other hand will eat the back half off a cow when she lays down to give birth, or take down a fullsize animal just for sport.

Latest posts