Coyote.. myth or fact?

Help Support CattleToday:

sidney411, nice looking pelts. A guy I work with, him and his brothers hunted coyotes for ranchers in Eastern Washington in the winter. Had the pelts tanned and a coat made for their sister. She had a lot of evil looks and harassment from the city folk and thumbs-up from the country folks.

I've never had them bother the cows or calves but they tore up a goat to the point that I had to shoot her.

My fox trapper has been trapping them because they will kill the trapped fox, I try to shoot them whenever I can, but I have a neighbor who protects a female who is producing young. So it's a battle.

I have more trouble with the black headed buzzards attacking calves as they are being born then dogs or coyotes. They actually will sit on the fence posts of the calving pasture watching. Of course they don't get to sit long because I am after them. They are so agressive I've seen them fight a cow for the placenta.

heiferhoney":1guk8rye said:
I've never had them bother the cows or calves but they tore up a goat to the point that I had to shoot her.

My fox trapper has been trapping them because they will kill the trapped fox, I try to shoot them whenever I can, but I have a neighbor who protects a female who is producing young. So it's a battle.

I have more trouble with the black headed buzzards attacking calves as they are being born then dogs or coyotes. They actually will sit on the fence posts of the calving pasture watching. Of course they don't get to sit long because I am after them. They are so agressive I've seen them fight a cow for the placenta.

If I can tell that a coyote is nursing I'll let her go too. Means more targets in a couple of months

dun

We have a neighbour here that is always having problems with coyotes.I think his problems started with him hauling his dead stock into the bush.After awhile they got a taste for the meat.We shoot coyotes on sight. :) :)

I have only lost 1 sick calf to coyotes as far as I know. We had another attack 10 years ago but survived it. I will shoot them anytime I find them in the pastures. The angus cows play coyote ball with them if they come around their calfs or can be caught in the pasture.

I am thouroughly convinced that when all other animals go extinct- the last surviving animal will be a coyote. They are extremely smart and can adapt to about anywhere-can eat about anything- will live on fresh kill, carrion, or garbage. Some researchers claim that when the coyote population is down, but food is plentiful they have larger litters- then when populations increase and food is scarce they have smaller litters.

Last year we were overrun up here with them- than with all the snow and good coyote prices last winter the snowmobilers were able to hunt down thousands- I saw very few this spring- but lately more and more are showing up and I'm starting to hear their songs nightly again.

I used to trap them for a living every winter. They were very frustrating until I learned how to do it. There were times I would have nuked the whole damn country just to get them. But after I learned what I was doing I could really put the hurt on the population. Coyotes you either love them or hate them. A number three Victor and a dirt hole set works 24/7 and then you can kill them with a stick or blast them with a cannon which ever is your pleasure. It is the best way to guard the calves. But then the urban people went and outlawed trapping here in Washington. Now I just use Dun's method.... maybe with a bigger gun.

Dave

heiferhoney said:
I have more trouble with the black headed buzzards attacking calves as they are being born then dogs or coyotes. They actually will sit on the fence posts of the calving pasture watching.

I agree with heirferhoney about the "new" buzzards being more agressive. I hadn't noticed them until about 2 years ago but there seems to more and more of them around. My brother lost a calf this year to them and declared war. They had started roosting around the big field where he hays in the winter and seemed to be waiting for a cow to wander away from a new born calf. After a few days when he drove into the pasture they all would take off, after about 2 weeks the smart ones had found easier picking elsewhere, the dumb ones became worm food.

;-)

dun":3bqfpnsb said:
heiferhoney":3bqfpnsb said:

If I can tell that a coyote is nursing I'll let her go too. Means more targets in a couple of months

dun

Well I am such a bad shot that it's better if I shoot her! :lol:

If you need to rid yourself of coyotes I can tell you a few tricks, but would rather not publish them for the whole world to see. They are frowned upon by many. I have a certain disdain for yotes that is equaled only by cats.

Oldtimer":v1zt14e9 said:
I am thouroughly convinced that when all other animals go extinct- the last surviving animal will be a coyote. They are extremely smart and can adapt to about anywhere-can eat about anything- will live on fresh kill, carrion, or garbage. Some researchers claim that when the coyote population is down, but food is plentiful they have larger litters- then when populations increase and food is scarce they have smaller litters.

Last year we were overrun up here with them- than with all the snow and good coyote prices last winter the snowmobilers were able to hunt down thousands- I saw very few this spring- but lately more and more are showing up and I'm starting to hear their songs nightly again.

Back in the mid-seventies I spent a lot of time in the desert west of El Paso. The state ( N. Mex.) did a coyote control study over a couple of years. First, they took a coyote census in a big ole area they'd mapped out. Then, they encouraged private varmint hunters and trappers to "work" in the area, and also employed a professional group that used leg traps, wire snares and even aircraft. A Supercub would fly very low, slow, lazy loops across a flat. The coyotes would just walk around a greasewood hump, keeping it between them and the plane, watching it as it left. The kicker was the helicopter with the "shooter" working back behind the plane. When they got sight of a coyote, they buzzed in and never lost a contest. They had another team member come in behind them in a truck and retreive the carcass. This was highly efficient coyote busting, and I was amazed at the number they killed. After a year of this the wildlife boys and girls called off the hunt and counted the coyotes. The private varminters had all just about quit anyway since it was scarce pickings for normal hunting. A year later, they counted noses for the final time and determined that at most the coyote population could only be influenced by extreme hunting pressure, that it was largly self-regulated and depended more on the available food and water supply than being hunted or not. Of course, a few years later I had occasion to observe what cyanide traps could do to a healthy coyote population, and love 'em or hate 'em, those things put a serious dent in the coyote numbers in a hurry. But that's another story, and maybe best not told.

Bernard":wddw8ihi said:
Oldtimer":wddw8ihi said:

Back in the mid-seventies I spent a lot of time in the desert west of El Paso. The state ( N. Mex.) did a coyote control study over a couple of years. First, they took a coyote census in a big ole area they'd mapped out. Then, they encouraged private varmint hunters and trappers to "work" in the area, and also employed a professional group that used leg traps, wire snares and even aircraft. A Supercub would fly very low, slow, lazy loops across a flat. The coyotes would just walk around a greasewood hump, keeping it between them and the plane, watching it as it left. The kicker was the helicopter with the "shooter" working back behind the plane. When they got sight of a coyote, they buzzed in and never lost a contest. They had another team member come in behind them in a truck and retreive the carcass. This was highly efficient coyote busting, and I was amazed at the number they killed. After a year of this the wildlife boys and girls called off the hunt and counted the coyotes. The private varminters had all just about quit anyway since it was scarce pickings for normal hunting. A year later, they counted noses for the final time and determined that at most the coyote population could only be influenced by extreme hunting pressure, that it was largly self-regulated and depended more on the available food and water supply than being hunted or not. Of course, a few years later I had occasion to observe what cyanide traps could do to a healthy coyote population, and love 'em or hate 'em, those things put a serious dent in the coyote numbers in a hurry. But that's another story, and maybe best not told.

As much as I hate coyotes and sheep, nothing deserves to die from those cyanide bombs/traps. Well ,maybe rapists, child molsters and a few in that category, but that's about all

dun

sidney411":1q337nkn said:
What are cynide traps/bombs?

A booby trap that has a charge rigged under a cyanide capsule which is beneath the bait. When the varmint grabs the bait the charge blasts the cyanide into its mouth/face and it dies a death almost as painful as the calves it preys on.

Craig-TX

Well,

I am in central Texas, Cyotes, rarley eat larger game, and few will kill a calf, never an adult animal

The animals that are killing calves are feral dogs, or dog, cyote hybrids

If you own dogs SPAY AND NEUTER THEM

People are the problem, the people with dogs that are not fixed let their pets get bred, then turn the babies out in the wild, these are the real problem, once a dog kills, not kill/eat kill for fun, they will continue to do so, you must kill/depopulate those animals

Cyotes eat small varmints, grass hoppers, bugs: look at their poo and you see exactly what they eat, mostly varmint hair and bug legs, and they also carry the disease Neospora caninum, wich is a protazoa and causes huge death loss due to early embryonic death of the fetus, once a female has aborted from this any resultant progeny will have it and it is passed from mother to daughter, bulls are unaffected, domestic dogs are also carriers, but herds that have ranch dogs have been very affective in controlling the disease, prevent Cyotes from spreading the disease in their poo

So

They will kill calves alright. It's not uncommon around here. Calves aren't their first choice because they have to work together and there are usually softer targets, i.e. smaller prey.

They will kill a cow also, not in the sense of taking her down, but if she's calving they will eat the calf and/or afterbirth and if she can't get up they will eat her bag off, eat her rear end out, etc. She'll be alive when you find her but you'll have to put her down so might as well chalk her up as a coyote death. It's not common but it's not uncommon enough.

Craig-TX

Latest posts