coyote deterrent

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
i have a place way out in the middle of no where and i am over run with coyotes.
is there a simple way to deter them.
i don't have the time to sit out there and shoot them or the patience for setting traps not to mention i have cattle on the place as well.
i thought about posion but it is not selective.(foxes hawks) i like to keep the rabbits in check.
any thought would be appreciated.

Shoot a few and hang them on the fence. That seems to be pretty effective.

Never had a problem with coyotes and cattle in our area. Now if you own goats and chickens its another issue. Here the packs move in and out following the food source. One day there is rabbits everywhere and the yotes show up and start partying. Next thing you know you don't see any rabbits or hear any yotes for about six months, they moved to better hunting.

While it does happen - it is rare for the wily coyote to bother cows.

Usually it is dogs that do the damage.

Got lots of coyotes where we live - some run in the 50 - 75 pound category - in other words fairly big dogs - small wolves.

Never seen one go after a calf - killed a couple German Shepherds, a Collie and a couple of Beagles and one neighbours hound of undetermined breeding over the past couple of years that tried to take a calf though.

I figure the coyote is on average a pretty good community partner.

I am sure there are many that do not think as me. But we got lots at home - see them every day.

Bez+

I use a few Longhorn cows, 3 for each 25-30 cows. They not only keep away coyotes and dogs but at least pay their way. They work day and night.

get a donkey to run with your cows.
Also, string some hot wire around your rabbit cages....that seems to deter coyote, dogs, coons...etc.

Put out the word at the nearest gun store that you are overun and will allow coyote hunter access. It won't take long for you to get more help than you could imagine.

You don't say where you are located. There's people on here that would help, given the chance.

3waycross":30lj2mr2 said:
Put out the word at the nearest gun store that you are overun and will allow coyote hunter access. It won't take long for you to get more help than you could imagine.

You don't say where you are located. There's people on here that would help, given the chance.

That's exactly what I wouldn't want, imagine the liabilty you are setting yourself up for. One accident and Jim Adler the Texas Hammer would own your farm.

Bez+":35mmeimt said:
While it does happen - it is rare for the wily coyote to bother cows.

Usually it is dogs that do the damage.

Got lots of coyotes where we live - some run in the 50 - 75 pound category - in other words fairly big dogs - small wolves.

Never seen one go after a calf - killed a couple German Shepherds, a Collie and a couple of Beagles and one neighbours hound of undetermined breeding over the past couple of years that tried to take a calf though.

I figure the coyote is on average a pretty good community partner.

I am sure there are many that do not think as me. But we got lots at home - see them every day.

Bez+
I have a coyote living on one of my lease pastures. I enjoy watching him almost daily as he comes and goes from his hide away. Never has bothered the cattle. On the other hand a neighborhood has been built adjoining the pasture and dogs were packing up and attacking the cattle. I put up a sign that the dogs would be shot on site and called the sheriff. That pretty well cleared up the problem.
I believe coyotes have taken a bad rap over the years. More than likely have been seen cleaning up an already dead calf. Domestic or feral dogs and buzzards are a much worse problem.

ONly problem is one coyote turns into six or seven after a short while. No predators for coyotes except man. Plus, if you raise chickens and guineas, (like I do) they come around looking for their share about every morning or evening. I got no sympathy for them at all.
I do agree with you about wild dogs, once they get running in a pack.. they are bad news. If I see them chasing a cow.. down they go.

We have a young yote hanging around our place. He is not very large. I saw him stalking some range chickens this week. I thought about shooting him, but did not. I made some noise and he took off. He had a difficult time finding a place to get under the field fence, but finally did only to be in our drive way with field fence on both sides and me on one end. He finally found a way to get under the other side of the drive way fence, into another pasture. Then the cattle started after him. He headed for the ditch, jumped in the water and escaped under the property line fence. The next day I saw him in the neighbors field. I don't know where he is now but last night the yotes had a family reunion, sounded like yipping concert.
Tom.

grannysoo":zduahwlx said:
Get you a jackass or a livestock guardian dog.

i had Jenny (donkey) and maybe i had a dud but one day i drove up on a hill above the pens and several calves and the jenny were in the lot and a coyote was at the trough drinking.
so not anymore.

cross_7":2iguc7rz said:
grannysoo":2iguc7rz said:
Get you a jackass or a livestock guardian dog.

i had Jenny (donkey) and maybe i had a dud but one day i drove up on a hill above the pens and several calves and the jenny were in the lot and a coyote was at the trough drinking.
so not anymore.

Probably not. As long as the yote kept his distance and was not a threat, the Jenny probably ignored him. Let him get close and it's another story.........

We've had coyotes take calves before when they get on the wrong side of the fence and momma is on the other. If you don't have the patience to shoot them, see if you have any responsible neighbors or friends who might be interested in a coyote hunt (I say responsible because you don't want a bunch of crazy hunters on your land around your animals). You could also get a guard dog, llama, or donkey. We have a donkey and I have never seen him with a coyote but he tried to kill a chocolate lab that got in the pasture and started trying to play with the calves. Get rid of carcasses in a timely manner so not to attract them as well.

Jennies don't like dogs or coyotes.. We keep a great pyrenees with the cattle. I've watched her twice run coyotes down, literally barrell over them, turn around and bite them thru the spine before they could even get up. All in a days work. :D

TexasBred":3e18p6jj said:
Jennies don't like dogs or coyotes.. We keep a great pyrenees with the cattle. I've watched her twice run coyotes down, literally barrell over them, turn around and bite them thru the spine before they could even get up. All in a days work. :D

My buddy from Amarillo had a couple of those Big White dogs he asked his momma to pick them up for him as she was gonna be near the breeder about an hour away. The very nice older lady put them in the back seat of her brand new Caddilac and took off for home. By the time she got there with the dogs the dogs had puked and crapped all over the back seat and she was so weak from pukin that she could not drive.

He says she got so mad she told him she was gonna leave the ranch to PETA to get even with him for that.

3waycross":11s9ov0m said:
TexasBred":11s9ov0m said:

My buddy from Amarillo had a couple of those Big White dogs he asked his momma to pick them up for him as she was gonna be near the breeder about an hour away. The very nice older lady put them in the back seat of her brand new Caddilac and took off for home. By the time she got there with the dogs the dogs had puked and crapped all over the back seat and she was so weak from pukin that she could not drive.

He says she got so mad she told him she was gonna leave the ranch to PETA to get even with him for that.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Them dogs just wasn't use to riding in a Cadillac. :lol: :lol:

Latest posts